GabbyRM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GabbyRM Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 16

Is GumTex and Tylose the same thing?

15 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 16

They both can be added to fondant to make it more like gumpaste so that it dries harder and faster.

CMC and Gum trag are also other names/brands of it. They all do the same thing in the end.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 16

Gum tex, cmc, and tylose (a brand name) are basically the same thing and work in the same way. Mixed with fondant, the result is almost immediate.

Gum trag is a bit different and needs a much longer time to become effective when mixed in with fondant. It needs at least 6 hrs. of rest, and 24hrs. is even better. It's also more expensive and it loses effectiveness as it ages.

HTH
Rae

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 16

Thanks all. I was wondering the same thing.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 16

GumTex has a particular scent to it, and is kind of pinkish. Tylose is white and doesn't have a scent. I'd rather use Tylose anyday, but GumTex will do the same thing in a pinch.

GumTex is made from gum karaya and Tylose is made with carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC). If you buy CMC online, you have to make sure it's intended for food use...it's also used in working with stained glass, and making fireworks, and the ones sold for that aren't food safe.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 16

I tried GumTex in a pinch when I didn't have Tylose and it did NOT have the same effect.

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I tried GumTex in a pinch when I didn't have Tylose and it did NOT have the same effect.

You have to use more of it. It's not as stretchy though.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 16

Okay - I haven't delved deeply into this area. If you're looking for something that works like gumpaste....why not just use gumpaste?

Is it a pain to make? Expensive to buy? Horrible to handle?

I'm a cookie lady, don't know much about this....trying to learn here.....

BlakesCakes Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

You have to use more of it. It's not as stretchy though.

Yep. And if you have the time to let it sit, it works better, too.

Rae

BlakesCakes Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:26pm
post #10 of 16

You add the dry gums to fondant to create gum paste.
It's EASIER & LESS MESSY than making gum paste from scratch and a quick way to do it in a pinch.

Rae

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:56pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMarie

Okay - I haven't delved deeply into this area. If you're looking for something that works like gumpaste....why not just use gumpaste?

Is it a pain to make? Expensive to buy? Horrible to handle?

I'm a cookie lady, don't know much about this....trying to learn here.....

I do make gumpaste icon_biggrin.gif I use Nicholas Lodge's recipe with the tylose. It comes out nice and stretchy and has a lot of body to it.

I've made the wilton recipe with the GumTex before but it was hard to work with and smelled bad.

Some people like to add the tylose or gumtex to fondant to make it stiffer...for example, a handle on a purse cake...without making a whole batch of gumpaste and coloring it to match the fondant they're already working with.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMarie

Because sometimes you don't need something that dries as hard or as fast as gumpaste. By mixing it you can make it where you have more time to work with it than gumpaste but it will hold it's shape better than just fondant.

I'm an odd one I guess. I like gum-tex over tylose, but then again I use it for molding figures and bows. If I am doing flowers then I go ahead and use gumpaste for that.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:48am
post #13 of 16

I use tylose. I like it better than gumpaste for making my flowers or other figures. I've tried gumpaste and yes it dries hard and fast but to me it is so much more fragile than the fondant mixed with tylose.

dozenredroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dozenredroses Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:41am
post #14 of 16

Can you add tylose to buttercream? Just curious...

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:49am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozenredroses

Can you add tylose to buttercream? Just curious...

Not for any reason that I could ever imagine. It doesn't taste that great and with all the fat in buttercream, I doubt that it would serve any purpose.

Rae

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #16 of 16

Thanks for the responses! I get it! If you don't need a whole recipe...then just add your product of choice. (gumtex or tylose) Cool.... it's a money saver! I love that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%