How To Keep Gumpaste From Falling Off Of Wires???

Decorating By DebbyJG Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 12:49am by Kellbella

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 19

Is there a recommended way to make sure your gumpaste decorations are stuck securely to wires/etc to make decorations that rise above the surface of the cake? (And yes, I know not to stick wires directly in the cake -- I use straws and insert the wires into that.)
Last weekend I attempted to make a "crazy daisy" cake with a bouquet of gumpaste daisies sticking up out of the top of the cake. After letting the daisies dry for three days, I got out the floral wires and first tried sticking them on with my normal paste that I make out of meringue powder and water. Let that dry overnight. They stuck a LITTLE, but when I lightly shook it around, like it would be in normal movement being transported, the flowers fell off. So then I attempted to make a "glue" out of water added to fondant. Let THAT dry overnight. This also worked a little, until I started putting the flowers on top of the cake. After about ten minutes, the flowers started falling off the wires, right onto the cake.

It was now the day the cake was due, so I didn't have time to try anything else -- besides, I was out of ideas. By this time I was about ready to chuck the whole cake out the window. Not only did I not have my daisy bouquet, now I also had broken gum paste flowers, pieces all over my cake, and pock-marked frosting where the flowers fall. (I ended up making a ring of daisies around the perimeter of the cake, with the message in the middle. Customer loved the cake, I hated it -- mostly because I had fought with it so much.)

So what do I do for next time? Is there a recommended ratio of water to meringue powder or fondant that I should use to make a stronger "glue"? Or something stronger to use that I don't know about? I usually just mix it up until it's a thick paste, but I've never measured the ratos. I've never attempted gumpaste stuck to wires though,; I've only used my "glue" to stick gumpaste to gumpaste or fondant, and it's worked great. But this time it definitely DIDN'T. Any help would be SO appreciated. This weekend's cake fight made me almost want to throw in the towel.

18 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 19

Hi DebbyJG! When I do my gumpaste flowers, I first decide if they need to be on wires. If so, I build them directly on to the wire. For glue, I either just use plain water, or water mixed with a tiny dab of the gumpaste. To me, that would make the strongest bond. I haven't tried your way, so I'm sorry I'm not much help for you there. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 19

Since gumpaste is unedible I usually use just egg whites (from the old school lol). I also don't like the wire to show so I usually just sandwitch the wire between 2 daisies, I do is before the daisies dry, and I just let them dry together. I do know that lots of people use cmc, tylose or gum arabic to make edible glue. I don't know the ratio used, but I'm sure if you search in CC you're bound to find the ratio used.

Krysten3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krysten3 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 19

I have yet to try this with gumpaste but I have with fondant. For fondant ones I use a lighter and hold the end of the wire in the flame for a few seconds and then stick it into the fondant. The hot wire melts the fondant and then cools very quickly and forms a really strong bond. I've bumped the wires numerous times and they jiggle like crazy and nothing falls off. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 19

Make sure you twist a little loop at the end of the wire. Then take a pea-sized ball of gumpaste and squish it around the little loop. flatten the top of the ball. Use "glue" made of water with a pinch of gumpaste in it, wet the flat spot, then stick on your flower.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 19

Did you wrap the wires in anything, were they covered wires, or just plain wires?

In my experinces if it is just plan wire the gumpaste doesn't really adhere to it. Plus gumpaste does shrink a little when it dries.

DebbyJG Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks for all the tips. I didn't loop the wires -- I'll have to try that next time. Also I love the suggestion of melting it a little -- wonder if that would work with a fondant/gumpaste mix? I make my own fondant, and have found if I do just fondant alone, it doesn't dry well, so I sometimes make decorations using fondant mixed with gum-tex. But for this time, since I knew it would need to be extra strong, I just used straight gumpaste, not the mix.
TexasSugar, the gumpaste flowers I made were all the way dry when I tried to stick them onto the wires. (I've always made my gumpaste decorations several days in advance and then let them dry out. And, I was trying to stick them to wrapped floral wire.)
I do like the suggestion of sticking the wires in between two layers of gumpaste while it's all still fresh and letting the whole thing dry out together...

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 19

Don't mean to change the subject Debbie but I love the cake on your profile...can we see it larger or do you have pics we can see elsewhere?

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 19

I have used royal icing to adhere dried gumpaste stars to wire.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 19

I usually stick the wire in the decoration and THEN let it dry.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I usually stick the wire in the decoration and THEN let it dry.

Yep, it definitely stays better that way!

DebbyJG Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:44pm
post #12 of 19

Okay, I'll try that next time...
Concerning the photo on my profile pic, yep, at least I THINK that's one that I've put in my photo album on CC! icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 19

The last time I tried to get dried fondant on a wire, I had to use melted chocolate as glue. The hot wire trick didn't even begin to let the wire push into the fondant.

caleyb Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:03am
post #14 of 19

Debbie - I am new to this...where do I go to see your album on CC? I see galleries and different types of cakes but I don't see where I would find a person's album. THanks.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:06am
post #15 of 19

Click on the little photo icon at the bottom of her post. It will take you to her pictures.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:33am
post #16 of 19

You might try candy melts, or melted chocolate. You can get Wilton's candy melts in a variety of colors or you can tint them so they'll sort of match what doodad you're working on. They dry fast and pretty hard so I like using them as glue.

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:38am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

Since gumpaste is unedible I usually use just egg whites (from the old school lol). I also don't like the wire to show so I usually just sandwitch the wire between 2 daisies, I do is before the daisies dry, and I just let them dry together. I do know that lots of people use cmc, tylose or gum arabic to make edible glue. I don't know the ratio used, but I'm sure if you search in CC you're bound to find the ratio used.

Since when is gum-paste inedible????

Here is a recipe for Gumpaste glue....

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16073/gumpaste-glue

give it a try...

caleyb Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:12pm
post #18 of 19

Thank you.....you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:49am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

Since when is gum-paste inedible????

Here is a recipe for Gumpaste glue....

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16073/gumpaste-glue

That's what I was thinking too!
give it a try...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%