Can I Sub Strawberry Juice For The Water In Buttercream?

Baking By Tor1985 Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 12:13am by yummycupcake

Tor1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tor1985 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making my daughters 4th b-day cake for her party on Sat. I'm using the summer's scratch strawberry cake recipe I got from the CC recipe section. I want to sub in some of the strawberry juice for the water in my buttercream...but the cake will be sitting out till sat. Will the strawberry juice make the buttercream go bad by Sat? I can't put the cake in the fridge as it's way too big...think the buttercream will be okay?
Thanks

4 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 5

yes you can thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 5

I would just mix in some sleeve strawberry filling 1/2 and 1/2 ratio of filling to buttercream, it's delicious AND safe at room temp for a few days!

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 5

I'm not sure about the food safety - i fridge all my cakes, so I've never really thought about it. I just wanted to add that although the strawberry juice wuld be fine to add in place of the water, it doesn't actually add much strawberry taste. It's a pretty small amount and just doesn't do a whole lot except help to turn your buttercream a pretty pale pink. In the past, in addition to the leftover strawberry juice, I've added a couple drops of LorAnn strawberry oil to the batch. It's still a subtle taste, but compliments a strawberry cake nicely. Happy birthday to your daughter!

yummycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummycupcake Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:13am
post #5 of 5

You can try adding strawberry preserve or jelly to the buttercream. Juice it will thin the icing and I will refrigerated the cake just in case the juice goes bad.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%