Need Advice On First Cake Order

Decorating By mfoxx9 Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 1:16pm by mfoxx9

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:18am
post #1 of 5

Hello!

I'm working on my first real cake order, and I could use some advice. I'll be making a baby carriage cake (there are lots of examples in the galleries) to welcome a baby home from the hospital. Since the cake won't be for a party, it doesn't need to be very big. The customer asked for 10-12 servings.

I was thinking I would make an 8-inch round and two 4-inch rounds, single layers, torted and filled, all buttercream, probably using some version of a WASC recipe. This was the best way I could think of to make this cake small. Can anyone think of a better way?

Also, I'm working on figuring out my pricing structure, and I'm completely at a loss. I looked at the pricing matrix, but it seems to be more geared toward wedding cakes, which I don't do.

Any ideas on how to price this cake?

TIA for your help!

Michelle

4 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:45am
post #2 of 5

What I do for pricing is calculate how much it will cost me for ingredients and then add on what I want to make for time and labor. This way I don't short myself.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:25am
post #3 of 5

wedding cake, party cake, kiss-my-butt-at-8th-and-main cake ...... the work is the same so the pricing shouldnt' be any different.

And no matter how many servings they ORDER, they should pay for the number of servings they GET.

If you order a bucket of KFC chicken that has 16 pcs, but you only need 12, you're still going to pay for 16 pcs.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

wedding cake, party cake, kiss-my-butt-at-8th-and-main cake ...... the work is the same so the pricing shouldnt' be any different.

And no matter how many servings they ORDER, they should pay for the number of servings they GET.

If you order a bucket of KFC chicken that has 16 pcs, but you only need 12, you're still going to pay for 16 pcs.

Indydebi,
You are so funny! And, yet, you are SO right!!

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 5

Indydebi - I understand what you mean, but I don't want to give them a huge cake if they don't need it. And what I meant by saying the pricing matrix was geared toward wedding cakes was just that it seemed geared toward tiers of all different sizes, and 4-inch tiers weren't even on there. Even when I tried to put in two 6-inch tiers, it didn't seem right. I guess I could play around with it some more.

The pricing matrix was giving me a price of over $100, but I only calculated 16 servings for the cake I'll be making. That doesn't sound right, does it?

And, I have no idea at this point what I want to make for my time. I've never done this before! Right now, I'm a SAHM, so anything I make is more than I'm making now!

Maybe I should sit down with my accountant husband and put him to work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%