Quick!!! Will This Work??!!

Baking By yamber82 Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 6:39am by tinygoose

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 12

i'm very limited in what i have on hand and making a lastminute cake for 20+ people soo..

it pretty much is gonna have to be straw/vanilla swirl.

i have a small container of frozen strawberries in sugary syrup or something like that. will this work for filling?

and i have one can of cool whip and one 2lb bag of powdered sugar. i was thinking of doing cool whip instead of bc, but i usually make my own and mine is stiffer. i have never used reg tub cool whip. will that work? and can i pipe the edges with bc or leave it plain?

not picky at all, just need something that tastes good and doesn't look embarassing

11 replies
WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 12

You might want to consider a trifle.

Tear the cake into chunks and layer with the strawberries and cool whip (in a bowl). You don't have to worry about everything being too soft that way.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 12

Why not just make a vanilla cake and then layer the strawberries in there, topp w/ cool whip (strawberr shortcake)

OR, mash the strawberries and mix into cool whip and use that to fill and ice the cake

OR, add strawberry jello to the vanilla cake batter then ice w/ strawberr/cool whip mixture.

OR make vanilla cake, fill w/ sliced strawberries and cool whip mixed w/ pudding (cheesecake is awesome, or could do white chocolate, or even lemon......do you have pudding on hand?)

yamber82 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 12

it's supposed to be a graduation cake for a small party.

it has to feed atleast 20 and most of those would be men if ya know what i mean.

i actually have two little tubs of frozen strawberries with sugar. i think they are a pint each. can i put them in the food prcessor with some maple syrup or honey and use that for filling? or do i need to use bc along with it? or can i use cool whip with the strawberries for filling? i can send dh to get some heavy cream tonight for the outside. that would be easier than bc i think.

yamber82 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 12

no pudding on hand. so i can use cool whip and strawberries for filling? should i keep it to one layer of filling instead of 2-3 like i would normally do if it's gonna be soft?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 12

Can you make jello cake?

Sheet cake out of vanilla/white cake....

Poke holes all over it after baking, with a serving fork.....

Pour strawberry jello over it (1 cup boiling water, 1/2 cup cold water)....

Let set overnight....

In the morning, top with the sweetened strawberries you have, and then spread the Cool Whip all over the top of it.

YUM.

yamber82 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:51am
post #7 of 12

hey i found some pudding!!

yamber82 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:54am
post #8 of 12

so tell me if this is gonna be potentially gross or good, vanilla and straw swirl cake (already baked) fill with cool whip mixed with cheesecake pudding and sliced strawberry puree? topped with whipped icing?

and on the pudding, it's been a while, but do i actually make the pudding and let it set up then mix with the cool whip?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:31am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamber82

so tell me if this is gonna be potentially gross or good, vanilla and straw swirl cake (already baked) fill with cool whip mixed with cheesecake pudding and sliced strawberry puree? topped with whipped icing?

and on the pudding, it's been a while, but do i actually make the pudding and let it set up then mix with the cool whip?

OH ABSOLUTELY -- GROSS --- SO gross that you'd best post your address RIGHT NOW! so I can google maps it and come over and eat --- I mean destroy it.

----

that's a WINNER FOR SURE!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:19am
post #10 of 12

I agree with Doug....sounds good.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:29am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamber82

OH ABSOLUTELY -- GROSS --- SO gross that you'd best post your address RIGHT NOW! so I can google maps it and come over and eat --- I mean destroy it.

---- icon_lol.gif great..... now im hungry.....

that's a WINNER FOR SURE!

icon_lol.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:39am
post #12 of 12

I think just frozen strawberries would be too wet for a cake...
=========================

I found this recipe online....easy cake recipes d ot com
strawberry cake filling
by jett
(us)
need a recipe for strawberry filling,with frozen strawberries.the ones I have found on line are with fresh and also found one but was not thick enough,and was not red anymore.please help

From the editor:

Hi Jett,

Here's my favorite recipe, that works with fresh or frozen fruit:

Fruit filling:

2 1/2 - 3 cups strawberries (fresh or frozen)
3/4 c sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 c water, divided (1/4 cup and 3/4 cup)

In a large saucepan combine fruit, sugar and 3/4 cup water and cook over medium heat until almost boiling. Mix cornstarch in remaining 1/4 cup cold water and add to pan, stirring constantly until boiling and thickened. Cool before using.

Regards,
Michelle (editor)
=============================
Also found this one.. for the pudding...

Things You'll Need:
1 pkg Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding
1 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
8 oz. Cool Whip

First of all, gather the ingredients that will be needed. Also grab a mixing bowl. Now - let's start the mixing. In a mixing bowl, beat the Pudding and Milk well.

Step 2
Now, Add the powdered Sugar.

Step 3
And lastly, fold in the Cool Whip. That's it. Now you have a wonderfully easy icing that your guests will just love.

Read more: How to make a Jello Pudding Cake Frosting (Icing) | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4466662_jello-pudding-cake-frosting-icing.html#ixzz0sPUIAJAh

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%