Cake Needed For Sat Can I Bake Wednesday????

Decorating By mhuerta Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 7:02am by mamawrobin

mhuerta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhuerta Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 11

i have 5 12" cakes and 2 12"x18" cakes needed for a huge bday party and i was wondering if i could bake and freeze wednesday and decorate on friday dont really have time thursday since i have 2 other cake orders for that friday

if so how do i freeze them and defrost any tips or recipes for buttercream that wont melt or sweat since the party is outside in low 90s

please any NICE advice would be helpful icon_eek.gif

10 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 11

The answers are yes and yes! LOL! I baked today and froze the cake for Sunday. I will take it out on Saturday, decorate and deliver on Sunday.

As for the buttercream..I understand indydebi has a recipe on here for BC that stands up to the heat...I just copied it down and am going to give it a try for the cake this weekend. Even under fondant my buttercream just melts so I'm going to give her recipe a try!

HTH

Cat

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 11

I bake most of my Saturday cakes on Wednesday, so I can have extra time if something doesn't go my way. You are well within reason to do this! The indydebi buttercream is awesome and holds up very well! HTH

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 11

I don't have the need to do it often, but, after your cakes are baked and cooled, securely wrap in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Be sure to give them a good amount of time to defrost before you frost and decorate.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 11

See, now I do just the opposite. I never ever put them in foil..the crinkly foil can leave dents in the cake. I double wrap in press and seal and freeze after torting and complete cooling. Then take them out of the freezer, unwrap, fill, crumbcoat and then let settle for at least 3 hours if not overnight. It's easier to crumbcoat when your cakes are partially frozen like this. This allows the cake to come to room temp as it settles but the crumbcoat holds in the moisture from the freezing. You do want to wait at least 3 hours because putting your finish coat on too quickly can mean not enough time for your cake to settle, thus the dreaded bulge, as it settles it releases gas and air which can cause a "blow out" in your buttercream or a bubble in your fondant. If using crusting buttercream just mist it with a light spray of water and your fondant will adhere beautifully. HTH. Cat

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 11

I put the cooled cakes on a very flat cookie sheet and put in the freezer - uncovered - just until frozen. Then I stack two layers with parchment paper on bottom, inbetween, and on top, wrap very completely with multiple layers of plastic wrap and return to freezer, again on a flat cookie sheet being careful not to bump them into anything that might dent one of the layers. When I remove from the freezer, I unwrap the stack and unstack the layers. I let them mostly thaw before I assemble the tier and continue the project. I get lots of compliments on my moist cakes, so don't think they're drying out by following this process.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 11

Baked on tuesday for Sunday. Cakes are in the freezer and will come out on Friday to tort, fill and settle, Sat it gets finished off. Sunday it's off to the party.

mhuerta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhuerta Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:15am
post #8 of 11

thanks soo much i will definitly have to do that since i have soo many cakes to do icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:23am
post #9 of 11

I will bake a cake on Wednesday for a Saturday event. I DO NOT freeze any of my cakes. I keep my cakes wrapped in food safe plastic bags until ready for icing...

HTH
Michael

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:13am
post #10 of 11

I bake all my Saturday wedding cakes on Wednesday. When they are cooled, I wrap in saran wrap really well and pop them in the walk in cooler. So definitely, yes!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:02am
post #11 of 11

Baking on Wednesday for a Saturday cake is standard procedure for me. I do freeze all of my cakes because it "tightens the crumb" and in my opinion makes a more moist cake. Double or triple wrap in plastic wrap. I take mine from the freezer when I go to bed Thursday night. Don't remove plastic wrap...the condensation will form on that rather than your cake. I usually fill and allow my cake to settle until Friday afternoon then crumbcoat, ice and cover with fondant and decorate that afternoon/evening as well. That way if I run into any problems I have time to make adjustments and I'm not working on the cake at the last minute.

For icing that is perfect for hot and humid conditions...Indydebi's buttercream is tops on my list. I don't use any other icing You can find her recipe here on cc in the "most saved" recipes.. If you do make her icing..beat the crisco for 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients (it will look like sour cream) and sift the powdered sugar. I also warm the milk before adding. After you have added all of the ingredients let the mixer run for at least 20 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%