When To Freeze Or Refrigerate?

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm by michel30014

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 7

I normally bake my cakes the morning before the day I need them. But for my daughter's party, I need more time and intend to bake the cake on Thurs for a Sat party. Should I refrigerate or freeze them? Normally I wrap them with cling wrap after taking them out of the pan. Should I put extra wrapping on them if they are put in the fridge or freezer? I'm afraid this will dry out the cake!

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 7

For cakes due on Saturday I always back Thursday night, cool and and cover with siran wrap and then decorate Friday. I have never had a problem, as long as its not super hot out it should be fine. From what I have heard refrigerating a cake dries the cake out, freezing makes moist. Hope this helps.

cinjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinjam Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 7

I always, always, always freeze my cakes. Even if I get a last minute order, I will rush to bake so I can at least get one day of freezing in. If properly wrapped before going into the freezer, I find my cakes are actually MOISTER than when not frozen.

I use two layers of plastic wrap & two layers of tin foil (I save and re-use tin foil up to two more times). If the cakes are smaller and will fit into the 2 gallon zip lock bags - even better.

I usually start decorating at night and in that case I will pull the cakes out of the frezzer in the AM and let them drfrost, still completely wrapped, on my counter until I am ready to decorate. So, they get about 8 hours to defrost.

If properly wrapped, putting them in the freezer will cause no harm in the short-term.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 7

I do exactly what cinjam does. The cakes are incredibly moist.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 7

I didn't realize that freezing could actually be a good thing! I need to fill & crumb coat Friday morning. Would you suggest baking on Wed, freezing, and then taking cakes out to thaw on Thurs evening?

I'm trying to get a good routine down as since I started offering free cakes for practice I find myself suddenly busy...LOL!!!

cinjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinjam Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, if I were going to fill and crumb coat Friday morning, I would take my cakes out and place on the counter Thursday night before I went to bed.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinjam

I always, always, always freeze my cakes. Even if I get a last minute order, I will rush to bake so I can at least get one day of freezing in. If properly wrapped before going into the freezer, I find my cakes are actually MOISTER than when not frozen.

I use two layers of plastic wrap & two layers of tin foil (I save and re-use tin foil up to two more times). If the cakes are smaller and will fit into the 2 gallon zip lock bags - even better.

I usually start decorating at night and in that case I will pull the cakes out of the frezzer in the AM and let them drfrost, still completely wrapped, on my counter until I am ready to decorate. So, they get about 8 hours to defrost.

If properly wrapped, putting them in the freezer will cause no harm in the short-term.

I do the same! My cakes are so much more moist that way!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%