Pizza Toppings?

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 8:37pm by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 8

I hunted up a hopefully good pizza dough recipe and now I'm considering pizza toppings. I want to go more for the healthy route, fresh veggies, and yummy goodness.

Does anyone have a good sauce that isn't tomato based that would be good on a pizza? Have any favorite combinations of toppings you love?

I'm looking for something different than the traditional loaded with meats and cheese type of pizza.

7 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 8

pizza blanco -- is sauceless -- just the dough and the goodies

tho' can use flavored olive oil on crust -- with layers of basil and mozzarella

do a veggie pizza -- onion slices, eggplant, fresh tomato chunks, peppers, (any kind you would grill)

do veggie tex-mex style: black beans, corn nibblets, rice, some queso cheese, and lots spices.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 8

I just made a batch of tomato confit to top a pizza, but so far we've used it on fish, burgers, crackers.... I am going to have to make more before we get around to pizza. I used a Julia Child recipe from Baking with Julia but if you do an internet search there are hundreds out there.

ChucKles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChucKles Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:13am
post #4 of 8

I love zucchini pizza!

Dough, Tomato sauce and zucchini and fresh grated parmasen! I peel ribbons of the zucchini and loosly 'throw' it on top( dont lie it all flat, have some of it sitting up iykwim). By the time the dough is cooked and the cheese has melted the zucchini is perfectly cooked. Mmmmmmm yum! icon_biggrin.gif

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:47am
post #5 of 8

You can top the dough with a little smear of mayo mixed with lemon juice and garlic and top with Goat Cheese, onion and zuchinni. yumm

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 8

or you can get creative........we've sauced pizzas with everything from bbq sauce, to steak sauce (really good if you thinly slice lean steak and peppers and onions), taco sauce (who says tacos have to have the veggies? My fav. meal on WW was pizza on a pita w/ taco sauce, a sprinkle of taco seasoning and then load up the veggies SO GOOD, you never miss the meat), lowfat ranch dressing, you name it!

I've even tossed salad w/ italian dressing and spread that over a plain crispy pizza crust, that nice crunch/chewiness of the crust piping hot w/ the cold salad on top is awesome!

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 8

Great suggestions...I'll have to give some of them a try!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 8

They do all sound good. Now I just gotta get that dough made. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%