Quick!!! In A Crisis Here...

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 3:39pm by yamber82

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 6

so we have moved and i havn't made a cake in MONTHS. all my stuff is in boxes who knows where. found a storage container full of marshmellows lol, but don't know if i have any powdered sugar for icing. so, dh needs a cake for tomrow. graduation cake for about 20 people. i really didn't plan on doing it because i frankly don't care about his little class and yes i'm a total b* right now, 9mo preggo due tomorow actually.

anyways, so i have 2 boxes of white cake mix, 2 of strawberry, one lemon, and i think that's it. i have flour, shortening. like half a quart of milk. how can i make a cake for 20 people with that? i can't go to the store before then. i MAY have some year old pink bc in the freezer, lol, but highly unlikely. i will hav to go look. my main concern is how to get a cake for 20+ out of 2 strawyberry and 2 white? it's been a while since i made a cake but i know 2 boxes don't go far. i do have a small thing of frozen strawberries in syrup.

any ideas? can i jsut make the whole thing strawberry by mixing all 4 boxes and the frozen strawberry stuff? i also have some of the wilton candy melts. if i can't find powdered sugar. what about a ganache instead of icing? i have only ever done that once for a very very small cake.

what size pan?

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 6

9x13 = 24 2x2x2 servings

that being said:

let him make it. You've more important things to contend with.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 6

Explain that you need some ingredients to make the cake, so since he would have to go and buy them, why doesn't he in fact just buy a ready-made cake from there so you can sit with your feet up the day before you are due?!

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 6

You could make a white and strawberry "marble" cake. There's a great recipe on wilton.com for strawberry cream filling that is made with frozen sweetened strawberries. Strawberry marble cake with strawberry filling and whipped cream icing, -- make your husband bring home a tub of cool whip and you're set. The decorating doesn't have to be fancy if you're putting together something unique.

yamber82 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 6

i was just gonna let him buy one. (i think he was kinda wanting to show me off ykwim) but it's for tomorow evening and he just started a new job and won't be home til 10pm tonight. back at work at 8am and just enough to time to run by and get the cake so he doesnt' have time to make it. i kinda feel bad ;p

as far as buying a store cake, we literally don't have the money for it right now. looong story, but anyway he signed up to bring the cake.

i was looking at cake pix just now and kinda got me in the mood lol. i'm going to hunt down some powdered sugar. if i can't find any, i may just tell him to borrow some money and buy a cake. speaking of, how much would a cake from the bakery cost? i have never bought one. dh says they are expensive but i was thinking like 20 bucks. would we have to order it ahead? if i don't find the ing, he's just gonna have to make due. i can't make a cake out of nothing.

yamber82 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 6

oh i also told him if nothing else works, i will just make a plain cake and he can buy a can of icing on his way there and throw it on the cake lol. i think i really hurt his feelings icon_sad.gif

found a 2lb bag of sugar! if i make a 20+ serving cake, will that be enough to cover the cake in and just do the regular edge trim and writing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%