How Far In Advance??

Decorating By multilayered Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 2:55pm by Sucrea

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 7

How far in advance can I make a RKT fondant covered purse? They do not intend to eat it, but I don't want it to be rancid, do you think it is possible to make it two to three weeks in advance or no way?? Normally I wouldn't think it would keep that long but with all thew preservatives today who knows!!! I thought it wouldn't hurt to askicon_smile.gif TIA

6 replies
michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 7

Personally, I wouldn't make it more than a week ahead of time. I'm thinking of the ingredients like the sugar that could go bad. That's just my thought.

Maybe someone else has a better idea!!

multilayered Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:05am
post #3 of 7

Bump "ing" for more opinions!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #4 of 7

Hmm I dunno, I have a RKT Cat in the Hat that has sat on top of my spare fridge since April. haha. I didn't have the heart to throw him away after the competition was over. Guess I could go in there and cut into him and see how bad things look. haha.....

I will say it does NOT stink or anything...I would guess if you made it far ahead of time it would be rock hard after a week or two. I would not use butter in the recipe at all. I would think just using marshmallows and cereal, you can't go wrong...neither ingredient is gonna go rancid, without the butter in it.

In my Cat in the Hat, though, I iced over it with plain shortening because it wasn't going to be consumed and I didn't want buttercream to go rancid. Your problem with making your thing ahead of time is going to be what you use between the RKT and the fondant.

multilayered Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Hmm I dunno, I have a RKT Cat in the Hat that has sat on top of my spare fridge since April. haha. I didn't have the heart to throw him away after the competition was over. Guess I could go in there and cut into him and see how bad things look. haha.....

I will say it does NOT stink or anything...I would guess if you made it far ahead of time it would be rock hard after a week or two. I would not use butter in the recipe at all. I would think just using marshmallows and cereal, you can't go wrong...neither ingredient is gonna go rancid, without the butter in it.

In my Cat in the Hat, though, I iced over it with plain shortening because it wasn't going to be consumed and I didn't want buttercream to go rancid. Your problem with making your thing ahead of time is going to be what you use between the RKT and the fondant.

Thanks so much!! I made it last night, and I was concerned about the buttercream too, so I didn't use ANY. I covered the purse in two layers of white fondant and one layer with the colors. It adhered fine, so since I have no butter it should be fine for a couple of weeks, right?? TIA

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 7

I don't see why it would go bad without butter or buttercream!

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 7

I don't think it would smell or be really bad, but I would make sure no one ate it just to be on the safe side. Depending on what fondant you used, it will probably be hard and no one would want to try to eat it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%