Last F/gp Class Tomorrow...my Cake Is A Mess! Help!

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 6:03am by crystal18_corpus

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:32am
post #1 of 22

So since space is limited at the place I am taking the F/GP class, I decided to cover my cake with fondant tonight. Well....what a mess....It is all pleated around the bottom because I forgot to put it on a separate cake circle and put it on an inverted cake pan to trim it. I don't know what to do to make it better and it's awful. I am thinking about just putting it in the trash and starting over.... I need help figuring out what to do....start over, or salvage it. It's VERY VERY BAD.

Can I just buy more fondant and cover the fondant I already have on it? Or will it do the very same thing since it's now "glued" to my 12 inch cake base?
LL

21 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:47am
post #2 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvspaisley

It is all pleated around the bottom because I forgot to put it on a separate cake circle and put it on an inverted cake pan to trim it.

Can I just buy more fondant and cover the fondant I already have on it? Or will it do the very same thing since it's now "glued" to my 12 inch cake base?

First, you need to get a cake circle under the cake.

I wouldn't recover the fondant with another layer of fondant--you're right, it will do the same thing and the wrinkles will show through. You can remove the fondant layer that's already on, knead it again (it won't hurt if there's buttercream in the fondant, just make sure you don't have cake crumbs in it), and reapply again.

If that fails, then you'll need to purchase more fondant (or if they let you make your own for the class, give it a try!).

Twizzles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twizzles Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:00am
post #3 of 22

I don't know what decor you were pursuing but once you got the cake circle under than add a basic fondant ruffle, wouldn't that cover it up and would be very cute tooicon_smile.gif
Just a suggestionicon_smile.gif))))

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:22am
post #4 of 22

I'm not great with fondant, so my favorite bottom border is the fondant ribbon. Just make it wide/tall enough to hide the pleats, and thick enough that it won't show the uneven surface under it.

livforcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
livforcake Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:45am
post #5 of 22

I agree, just make or buy a ribbon wide enough to cover the creases. The rest of the cake looks great and no one will ever tell!

ApplePomme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplePomme Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:51am
post #6 of 22

I'd pull the fondant off, put the cake on a circle and then recover the cake.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:18am
post #7 of 22

First of all - it really isn't as bad as you feel it is. Your frustration is making you see the flaws as bigger than life. Believe me been there and done that. Still do from time to time.

Second - if you do decide to recover the cake you can achieve a smooth finish without lifting the cake up but it is much easier to lose the wrinkles when a cake is lifted. The method is essentially the same. Lift the fondant away from the bottom edge of the cake and very gently "lift up" while using the other hand or fondant smoother to move from the top edge of the cake towards the bottom and securing that section to the cake then move to the next piece immediately beside the first and repeat the motion. Do not pull too hard or you will get tears. (I hope this is making sense) Here is a you tube video of what I am trying to say. LOL.

The other option is to do as others have mentioned and use your decorations to camoflage the folds.

BlessP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlessP Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:32am
post #8 of 22

I would just take the fondant out and try to ice the cake again to smooth it and then maybe you can still re-use your fondant, if not just use a new one and cover it. You don't have to throw the whole cake out.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:20am
post #9 of 22

I'd carefully peel off the fondant, re-ice, and didn't you say they were going to cover the cakes in class?. Just wait and recover it in class, it will be fine. Think of it as a practice run.

lvspaisley Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 22

Thanks for all of the help! You guys ROCK!

They are definitely covering in class, but there are 15 people to 4 small tables in there. There's no room to roll and cover. Everyone is on top of everyone. It's ridiculous. So I decided to save some time and do it at home (big mistake! LOL)

As for the cake, before I thought about it, I put buttercream on the cake board and glued it down. I don't know how easy it will come off? Suggestions on that?

I was going to do zebra stripes anyway, so I'm wondering if I can cover most of those with thick stripes? The other side is worse LOL

On the flip side, I did make a pretty awesome gumpaste bow for the first time (attached)

I really do appreciate you guys. I use fondant on cupcakes, not cakes LOL I seriously have no desire to ever do that again! icon_cry.gif
LL

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:00pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvspaisley

As for the cake, before I thought about it, I put buttercream on the cake board and glued it down. I don't know how easy it will come off? Suggestions on that?

I was going to do zebra stripes anyway, so I'm wondering if I can cover most of those with thick stripes? The other side is worse LOL

It's just buttercream, not dried hot glue! Slide your cake spatula under the cake and lift it just enough to shove a cake board in. While the spatula is still under the cake, lift it a little more to pull the rest of the cake back to the center of the cake board.

If you don't redo your fondant, you'll never learn how to apply it correctly and will always try to find ways to cover up the flaws. I'd learn from the experience and make it a point to do it better the next time.

cake-angel Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:38pm
post #12 of 22

You bow is awsome. icon_smile.gif

I have to agree with CWR41. You can lift your cake just as she explained. Buttercream does help secure the cake but it doesn't prevent lifting with a spatula or cake lifter. It is a good idea to get into the practice of using a cake circle under every cake. Makes decorating so much easier.

Don't give up on covering cakes. You can do it. Even if you don't recover this one, don't be afraid to try again on another cake. Your instructor should be showing how to cover a cake during class in lesson 4 so you may pick up a few tricks there as well. And of course there is always cakecentral and youtube for extra help!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:13am
post #13 of 22

Don't get so uptight, it's your first time, right? A fondant ribbon, etc. will cover the pleats and your instructor will advise you on your problem. It's not a university credit, only a cake class. I always tell my students, "If you make an error, eat it!".

lvspaisley Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 22

I think it turned out pretty well, yes?!
LL

cake-angel Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #15 of 22

You did an amzing job! Great cake. I love the colors you chose. They work really well together. Your choice of border is perfect for this cake and really ties the whole design together. Congratulations on your completion of the course! Love the cake!

Happy Caking!

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:40pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

I think it turned out pretty well, yes?!

Awesome!!! You did a great job turning the cake around. You should be very proud of yourself.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:40pm
post #17 of 22

I think it came out great! Especially for a class cake! My fondant cake from my class was definitely not as good as yours! Keep at it and don't give up!!! Practice does make perfect, after all!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:40pm
post #18 of 22

Pretty well???? icon_eek.gif That turned out AWESOME!! Seriously, look at your first pic and the last pic side by side, and you will be pretty darn pleased with yourself. It's amazingly cute. If I hadn't seen the first pic, I'd have never known.

lvspaisley Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:46pm
post #19 of 22

Thanks you guys! It was only because of all your great advice that I didn't throw it in the trash and start over icon_wink.gif The cake board cover is actually a napkin that matches some plates I bought at Party City. I tried covering the board with fondant and ripped it to pieces and then it was ruined because of the gel on it. SO...I found that napkin and thought, hmmmmmmmm...this will work and it did.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:48pm
post #20 of 22

You did a great job!

ElmwoodHero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElmwoodHero Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:09pm
post #21 of 22

remove fondant, kneed, reapply fondant, roll fondant out bigger

crystal18_corpus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystal18_corpus Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:03am
post #22 of 22

your cake is so beautiful you did a great job