Two-Colour Swirl Icing

Decorating By Amandajacobson Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 3:38am by dmo4ab

Amandajacobson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amandajacobson Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:15am
post #1 of 6

Anyone care to share how to ice cupcakes with two-color buttercream swirls? Thanks much!!

5 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:28am
post #2 of 6

Sure! Just fill the one bag with both colors of icing, making sure the one color is on one side and the other on the other side.

OR if one is a darker color, you can just make a big thick stripe of the darker icing down one side of the bag, and put white or the lighter color in to fill the rest. I did that for "zebra" striped cupcakes recently in my photos.

Vimalai21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vimalai21 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:47am
post #3 of 6

That's exactly how I do it too. If you need visuals you can go onto youtube and check out SeriousCakes videos, I believe its her pharmacy cake and cuppies video that show exactly how she does it.

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:56am
post #4 of 6

There are disposable plastic decorating bags you can get that are split in the middle, so you fill each side easier with the different colors.

ladyk333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyk333 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:10am
post #5 of 6

I've also heard that you can wrap one color of icing in plastic wrap with one open end, insert into piping bag - do the same with the other color and place beside the first in the piping bag. Both colors should flow out together for a two color swirl.

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:38am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyk333

I've also heard that you can wrap one color of icing in plastic wrap with one open end, insert into piping bag - do the same with the other color and place beside the first in the piping bag. Both colors should flow out together for a two color swirl.

This is exactly the method I used to do three colors on my tie dyed cupcakes. I think there is a tutorial at the top of this forum how to make the icing plugs with plastic. It's super easy and make cleanup a snap!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%