Can I Make Smbc Or Imbc With Meringue Powder?

Baking By Rachel5370 Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 7:39pm by Rachel5370

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:12am
post #1 of 14

I prefer these icings over American Buttercream, but they are alot of work! I am pretty sure the SMBC is out, because the eggs are cooked with the sugar in order to bring eggs up to temp and dissolve the sugar. I don't see how this would work with meringue powder. (maybe?) But, IMBC starts with meringue and then hot sugar syrup is added. Has anyone done this with meringue powder? I am hoping it can be done because I am hoping to avoid the extra steps of seperating and cooking the eggs, worrying about food safety and not always having a use for all those yolks! I have never done it any other way than the old fashioned way! I used meringue powder to make royal icing for the first time and I love it! Thankyou, Rachel

13 replies
mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:55am
post #2 of 14

Not with SMBC...I tried it twice and both times I got a beautiful meringue, but when I added the butter it totally went soupy! I chatted with a pastry chef and she said there are starches in that and it gets all messed up when you add a protein (the butter). I tried it right after that with normal egg whites and had a beautiful SMBC...so, I know it's the meringue and not my technique!! icon_smile.gif I'm not sure about the IMBC technique?!

Good luck!

Oh, I've heard people use powdered egg whites and it works great...because that IS different than meringue powder! I think I had them confused! icon_smile.gif

Rachel5370 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:56am
post #3 of 14

Ohhh, ok! I will have to check into powdered egg whites. I still want to know if anyone here has made IMBC with meringue poder or powdered egg whites. I saw somewhere that it can be done, but the person didnt go into any detail about how. Anyone??? icon_smile.gif Rachel

Rachel5370 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 14

.. trying to get a couple more replies. Thankyou! icon_smile.gif

Rachel5370 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:03am
post #5 of 14

Hmmm.... Pestering you guys again! Anyone have any advice? icon_biggrin.gif

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:27am
post #6 of 14

You might try a search of the forums.

If I'm remembering correctly, both pterrell and leah_s have used powdered whites for their meringue buttercreams.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:34am
post #7 of 14

I use Cake Love's IMBC recipe with Wilton meringue powder and get beautiful results every time.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:51am
post #8 of 14

metria, could you please give us the recipe for cake love's recipe. i have pterell's, didn,t have good luck with it. but would love to try the one you have. tia

metria Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:54am
post #9 of 14

The recipe is posted here:

metria Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:56am
post #10 of 14

instead of the 5 large egg whites, i use 10 tsp of Wilton meringue powder + 10 Tbs water

icer101 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:24am
post #11 of 14

thank you, metria!!

icer101 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:28am
post #12 of 14

Metria, i do make imbc and smbc. So, you just use the meringue powder instead of the egg white. I see. i will try this way also. thanks again,

Rachel5370 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 14

Thankyou so much everyone! I did search the forums and didn't find anything... but I'm a "comp-tard" so... icon_redface.gif

Rachel5370 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:39pm
post #14 of 14

I am so happy to find out that meringue powder can be used! That just makes my life so much easier- and there will be way less food safety concerns. I will be going through Health Dept certification soon, they ask for recipes. Thankyou again. ~Rachel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%