Need Help With Support System For A Tall Cake

Decorating By careylynn Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 6:59am by keriofcakes

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:36am
post #1 of 9

Ok, I have a "cat in the hat" themed baby shower cake due the end of July. The customer wants "the hat" as the cake. I sketched up the idea of having a teacup with a baby in it on top of the hat(borrowed idea from shelley-101). It will be TWO 6 inch 2 layer cakes, making it 8-9 inches tall. I have never made a cake this tall and I don't know the best way to support it. I would obviously be using a cake round in the middle, under the top 2 layer cake. My two thoughts are to either screw a dowel into the board and stack the cakes on it, or hammer a sharpened dowel through it after its done. Which way would you suggest and is there anything I should know beforehand? Also, how would you attach the teacup? Below is my sketch for the cake. Thanks icon_smile.gif

Oh, and would you wrap the fondant around the cake or cover like normal??
LL

8 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:21am
post #2 of 9

When I did a cat in the hat cake I screwed the dowel into the base. Then I used a foam core board for after every 4" of cake. (which was every 2 layers) with bubble tea straws. I didn't do the teacup on top, that is really cute!!! Mine was about 12" tall. I wrapped the fondant around the hat, except for the brim of the hat and the very top of the hat.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:49am
post #3 of 9

I'd use SPS of course, with a cardboard and plate in the middle (at the 4" tall point.)

careylynn Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:53am
post #4 of 9

leah_s, I've heard of SPS, but don't know how to use it. If I order it, do instructions come with? Or is there a forum/video link you can forward me?

Karen421 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 9

Leah has better instructions posted on here, under cake decorating. I use them for all tier cakes and it is a great system!

careylynn Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 9

I read the SPS instructions, and I want to try it, definitely... but I don't think it'll work for this particular cake. The hat has a "leaning" effect to it, so it will need carved. If I use the SPS, it will be straight and perfect, which isn't Dr Suess' style at all icon_smile.gif

Any other ideas??

mustangsallii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustangsallii Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

When I did a cat in the hat cake I screwed the dowel into the base. Then I used a foam core board for after every 4" of cake. (which was every 2 layers) with bubble tea straws. I didn't do the teacup on top, that is really cute!!! Mine was about 12" tall. I wrapped the fondant around the hat, except for the brim of the hat and the very top of the hat.

Please elaborate on how you screw a dowel into a cake base. Also, what did you use as your base?

Karen421 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:35am
post #8 of 9

I like to over support, especially after a couple of disasters. So this is how I did it:
I used a 10 round cake for the brim and 6 - 8x2 rounds cakes for the hat itself. (with strawberry butter cream filling)
I took a 8x ½ round plywood and ½ wooden dowel and screwed the dowel into the plywood.
Then I took the 10 round cake & cut 8 circle out. Put that on my Cake board and fit the 8 plywood/dowel into it. I screw this into the cake board. (The cake board itself is ½ plywood).
I covered the brim with whit fondant.
Then put a plastic tube over the dowel and stacked my 8 cakes for the hat.After every 2 layers, I used bubble tea straws, and foam core. (cut the holes out of the foam core all at the same time) I did take a couple of pictures. I hope that helps you. I did try to screw in my dowel at an angle so my hat would be crooked, but of course, this would be the only time the dowel went in straight!! ( I am going to try to attach the pictures)
LL
LL

keriofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriofcakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 6:59am
post #9 of 9

Thank you Karen421 for the info!! I just wish I saw this sooner! Over support is the way to go. I now have an under supported Uncle Sam top hat that is slowly sinking! Lesson learned thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%