How To Do Small, Fine Writing

Decorating By Bubbalynn Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 5:38pm by Montrealconfections

Bubbalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbalynn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 15

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to put some very small, fine writing on fondant?

14 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 15

Can you pipe it with a #1 or #2 tip?

Bubbalynn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 15

Has anyone tried the food writer markers?

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 15

Michael's sells an icing writing tube, all one piece with a fine tip opening. It is pretty easy to work with, and comes in many colors. I can't remember exactly what it is called, but it is not a marker, it is an actual pre-loaded icing writer. The stars on the graduation cake in my photos were done using that fine writer, and they were pretty small.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:09am
post #5 of 15

I would paint on fondant with a fine tipped paint brush, but I find that I am better at painting than writing on icing. I feel like I have more control. I have also used fine tipped Americolor food writers - they are good. Dont even bother with the Wilton ones...

nicfam6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicfam6 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:20am
post #6 of 15

If you don't have a small tube(tip) maybe you can use parchment paper and make a bag then cut off the tip of the bag but try to to over cut so that the opening is not to big. I think you may need thin icing for it.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:35pm
post #7 of 15

I would do what nicfam6 said. You can buy precut triangles from any place that sells Wilton products. The only problem is you get more than 1, way more than 1. But take that size and cut the triangle in half and use that. It will small enough in your hand to feel like you are writing with a pencil.

If that is too large, then you can cut the smaller triangle in half again and get something even smaller. I've seen this done in Ace of Cakes. My DD and I have done with great success too. We used it in our Wilton class.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:40pm
post #8 of 15

I find the best and easiest way to do it is with a very TINY, fine pointed paint brush and gel coloring.

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:03pm
post #9 of 15

All sounds like good ideas. LindaF144 - if you don't have much use for all the parchment triangles, you could also use parchment paper. It comes in a roll like foil and you can just tear off the size you want (I cut the square diagnally in half to make a triangle).

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 15

I have found I have more control with a smaller bag. However, since I stink in general at writing, I would have my cake buddy do it as she is awesome with the teeny tiny stuff. LOL

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:10pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justforfun751

All sounds like good ideas. LindaF144 - if you don't have much use for all the parchment triangles, you could also use parchment paper. It comes in a roll like foil and you can just tear off the size you want (I cut the square diagnally in half to make a triangle).

Oh no, I use my parchment paper quite a bit. I just wanted to mention that in case the OP didn't use it much.

I looove the precut stuff. I was in class when two gals were trying to make their paper cones from the rolled stuff. It didn't work in the time frame they had, plus they didn't cut it exactly.

Life is too short IMO. I would rather save the time than the cost sometimes!

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:00pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I find the best and easiest way to do it is with a very TINY, fine pointed paint brush and gel coloring.

this! I just did a cake that required me to make 27 mini name tags and that's what I did. I tried 2 brands of edible markers and the tips of both brands got mushy after using them for only a couple of minutes (and they were the fine tips).

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:10pm
post #13 of 15

I'm obviously not the OP, but what GREAT information. I'm always having this problem and my solution up till now has been to change the design so I don't have to do it! I'm giving all these ideas a try to see which one works best for me. Thanks, y'all!!!

Bubbalynn Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:11pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks everyone for the great tips!!!

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:38pm
post #15 of 15

It would be helpful to know what you are doing to give the best recommendation. No brand of edible marker has a truly very fine tip, a decorator on flickr buys non-toxic regular markers to do her very fine details (she does mostly cookies). If you plan on piping out your details I only use PME tips they are $5. each but worth every penny! If you use the fine ones like 00 or 1 you will need to put your RI in a clean stocking to avoid the constant clogs (see this link: http://sweetopia.net/2010/03/how-to-prevent-your-tips-from-clogging-and-what-to-do-if-it-happens-top-10-tips/ ). Obviously depending on what you are doing another option is edible images format your text and print it off cut to size and apply it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%