Giving Credit Where It's Due

Decorating By MyDiwa Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 2:05am by mommynana

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 11

I have a pet peeve that lately seems to be peeving me quite a bit more than in the past. I love looking at the photos in the Gallery and so often I see someone posting a photo of a cake that I KNOW was someone else's idea/design etc and no mention is made of this whatsoever.

I just think it's not right to copy someone's work and not give them credit for coming up with the design, technique or whatever it is. Clearly I am not talking about any of my work because as anyone who has happened on any of my photos can see, I'm not that great and no-one's going to copy my work. It just really bugs me on behalf of the person who put in the work (brain cells, material doing trial and error maybe, or whatever) and created something nice enough for you to want to copy and you don't even acknowledge them.

Anyone else feel this way?

10 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 11

I agree with the out and out copying of a cake. If you are trying to do a copy of someone's cake then give them credit. But certain "looks"..say the cherry blossom cake that's been done to death this past season...falls under the "nothing new under the sun" rule. We all get inspiration from all different sources..sometimes it's just looking at someones cake and thinking "ooo, I like that but if I were to do it I would do this...and that...to make it my own". Chances are when you come up with a design you may not even know who it was you got it from...or maybe come up with something that is a mesh of several different cakes. I don't mark down that I got the first idea from this CC member and the next part of the cake came from that CC member but rather I took the inspirations of their cakes and created my own version of the cakes. As artists we should never copy someone else's design of a cake and then not say that it's a copy but using inspiration...well, that's a hard on to pin down on where the original inspiration came from...you could go back to the beginning of time and the first artist to put brush to paper before you could come up with the orginal creator of a "look" or "idea".

Just my 2 cents,
Cat

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 11

I look at thousands of cakes every year. I couldn't possibly remember who did every one of them...............

IF I were to make a cake that was a deliberate copy, or using huge elements from any one inspiration cake, AND I posted it here, AND I knew who made the original, I would cite it in the post..............of course, there's no way to know if those inspirations are the ORIGINAL work of those other people, or not...............and so on, and so on, and so on...............

I say that if you don't want to be copied, don't post photos and if you want credit..........., don't post photos.........................

JMHO
Rae

cupcakedarling1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakedarling1 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 11

all of you bring up great points!

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

IF I were to make a cake that was a deliberate copy, or using huge elements from any one inspiration cake, AND I posted it here,

These are the instances that I'm talking about. There are cakes that I can tell are copies of someone else's cake that don't mention that so it comes across as if it was their original idea. A specific example is say, the handbag cake that is in Elissa Strauss' book Confetti Cakes. If I make an exact copy, down to the pearl bracelet beside the cake and simply change the colors.... that's not the same as being inspired and taking certain elements and making it your own. I use this example because it's an obvious one but there are others that are from CC members who don't get acknowledged.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 11

Who says that the copycat didn't already give the original creator credit? There are many times that I find a design/idea that I like and I'll ask the original creator if they mind if I use it. I've always gotten a resounding "Sure, go right ahead." In this case, I've already given the original creator the compliment and credit.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:22am
post #7 of 11

Sometimes its confusing...I see a few popular designs here. A few times a customer has asked me to copy one and I posted it with proper credit. However then someone will copy ME, and even though I gave proper credit in MY post, they will either not give credit OR they will give credit to me even though I've given the credit to someone else.

If I catch it, I'll just comment on whose original idea it was...but really, so many ideas get passed around and popular and then its hard to tell who it really came from.

I do think its best if something is copied to give credit, or at least try. But I wouldn't blame every little copy, as like was mentioned above, sometimes I can't remember where I've seen an element of a cake but I incorporate it into mine...and its impossible to give credit to every little design idea, because not even all those are totally "original".

(That was kinda rambly...)

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:01am
post #8 of 11

This is something that bugs me to!
If I use an idea its usually something I have saved as a favorite so I will say that, even though it may not be their idea first, its the one I'm looking at for what I am doing. So the original designer isn't getting credit, but I feel that I need to give someone the credit! Hope that makes some sense!

An example ... something that comes out of Hello cupcake or Whats new cupcake, thats not a new creation, let everyone know where you got the idea from!

SummerQT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SummerQT Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:15am
post #9 of 11

I'm new and don't mean to step on anyone's toes but what about when someone makes a cake that is their idea and it just happens that someone else that same idea. They say great minds think alike.

pacable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pacable Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:30am
post #10 of 11

I totally understand wanting to be credited for your ideas, but it's like just the other day I had someone ask me to do a minnie mouse cake, so I came up with an idea in my head (I was totally excited that I came up with such a cute idea..) and then I went on here and wouldn't you know it?! There were about 15 cakes that were the exact idea that I thought I had come up with!!! icon_cry.gif oh well....I just thought I was being really original....

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #11 of 11

i dont want to sound rude, but is`t this the purpose of everyone being here to show their cakes and to help and give everyone idea`s you can spend hours apond hours looking at all the wonderfll creatation that everone has on CC its impossible to remember where you`ve seen this or that,i`ve made a few cakes for family never coppied anyone but got ideas,and when they say i did`t no you had that talent, i say i dont i got the idea from CC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%