Buttercream

Baking By lola52 Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 12:55pm by lola52

lola52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lola52 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 7

Ok i just can never get my buttercream to the right consistensy it seems like its thin enough but then i put it an the cake on it is so stiff! My cakes are turning out horrible.

6 replies
michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 7

Mine did the same when I first started. I was making the buttercream too stiff. It was suggested to use a bit more water added a bit at a time until it's spreadable. So, trying thinning it out a bit more with water.

It could also depend on what recipe you are using. How much shortening/butter are you using compared to the powdered sugar? Tell us what recipe you are using and if I can't help you, maybe someone else can.

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 7

Hi! Welcome to CC! Have you been refriderating it and then taking it out and putting it on a cake?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola52

Ok i just can never get my buttercream to the right consistensy it seems like its thin enough but then i put it an the cake on it is so stiff! My cakes are turning out horrible.

Like rkei ask..do you refrigerate your buttercream? If so..don't. It requires no refrigeration, even with milk as an ingredient.

Do you crumbcoat your cake before icing? I always crumbcoat my cakes. Once that crumbcoat crust...you go back over it with your final coat of icing and it is much easier to ice.

What recipe do you use? Can you post the recipe??

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 7

When I started taking classes I found the hardest thing was learning consistancy, I even mentioned it in class and several people agreed.
It just takes practice and what everyone else says. Don't get discouraged. thumbs_up.gif

Sarahweezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahweezie Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 7

How long can a cake sit out at room temperature with buttercream icing (butter shortening ps and milk) and fondant? I need to make a cake ahead of time to take out of town this weekend. I wanted to start baking and icing tomorrow and probably won't cut into it until saturday.[/quote]

lola52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lola52 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 7

My recipe is:

2lbs. powdered sugar
2 sticks of butter
teaspoon vanilla
3-4 tablespoons of milk

P.S. I almost always have to put in way more milk even though it still won't spread

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%