Calling All Cakers!

Lounge By ksmith1012 Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 7:13am by scp1127

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 36

Hello Friends,

Last night I was contacted by a fellow caker here in Columbus who has started a Non-Profit called Icing Smiles. She works with decorators all over the US to provide custom celebration cakes for critically ill children and their families. She is in real need of decorators EVERYWHERE. The more decorators she can get the more children she is able to help. I am getting ready to partner with her and this wonderful organization. They take care of all the arrangements & delivery and I also believe they try to cover your ingredient costs, etc. I know some of you already give to certain causes, etc but if you don't already have a cause you donate to would you please just check out her website? She has a FB page, Icing Smiles, check it out and become a fan! Thanks guys! icon_smile.gif

http://www.facebook.com/search/?post_form_id=a3c1bf90430fcb9051be61f7c9419755&q=&init=quick&ref=search_loaded#!/icingsmiles?ref=ts

http://www.icingsmiles.org/Site/Welcome.html

35 replies
sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 36

What a wonderful cause. Do you have to be a licensed baker?

ksmith1012 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 36

No, you do not need to be licensed to donate. They accept donations from professionals and non-professionals alike. I would contact her directly for specifics. Thank you sugalips! icon_smile.gif

Sherena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherena Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 36

I'm in! I posted to the facebook site and hope to lend a hand int he Dallas area. Thanks for this post!

ksmith1012 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 36

Thank you Sherena!

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 36

Thank you so much. I hope that I can help out in Washington and Oregon!!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 36

Cool! I have a dear friend who lost her daughter to leukemia - and a similar organization that does professional photos took their pictures, she died a few days later. It meant the world to her that someone would do that.

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 36

i'll be sending in my info so i can help out however i can

ksmith1012 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 36

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! This will mean more to Icing Smiles than you will ever know. As of yesterday, they only had 6 decorators working with them and have been getting requests from families all over the United States. After seeing the pictures and reading the stories you can't help but be changed by it. I have been looking for ways to give back with my gifts- and I am so thankful she contacted me. We have a great opportunity to make a big difference in the lives of these families. Again, thank you so much for helping!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 36

that's awesome, I just became a fan on Facebook & posted on her wall. thanks for sharing on CC!

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 36

I am gonna see what they can do with limited skills but unlimited want-to in the Southeast Texas/ Houston area!

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:34pm
post #12 of 36

Thanks for sharing this with everyone! What a great cause! I'm heading to the FB page right now. thumbs_up.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:44pm
post #13 of 36

Posted on Facebook, would love to help! Thank you for sharing

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:49pm
post #14 of 36

Ok, I emailed them... I hope to hear back. I think this is a wonderful cause.

Sandy

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:54pm
post #15 of 36

I posted too! Thanks for sharing this. I've been thinking about donating cakes for kids in need but wasn't sure where to begin.

ksmith1012 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:02pm
post #16 of 36

Again, thank you everyone! This is really amazing- I'm so excited for her and I'm not even a part of the organization! She posted earlier on her FB page that if you do not hear back from her today, it is not from a lack of interest. She has literally went up 50+ members today alone. She will respond to your emails. So keep them coming! This is awesome! icon_biggrin.gif

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:53pm
post #17 of 36

Thnks!! I'm contacng her on facebook icon_smile.gif

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:54pm
post #18 of 36

I saw this posted earlier on FB, offered up my services for some Cleveland coverage. Thank you for promoting this!! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeladyinri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyinri Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:54pm
post #19 of 36

Thanks, I sent an e-mail and posted on the facebook page. What a great cause

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:57pm
post #20 of 36

Thanks I'm contacting her on facebook icon_smile.gif

ksmith1012 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:35am
post #21 of 36

Ok- one last HUGE Thank You to everyone who has contacted Icing Smiles! I got a very touching voicemail from Tracy this afternoon saying she was trying to keep herself composed while responding to the HUNDREDS of emails she has received today! This is one of the most amazing things I have ever been apart of! Thank you all! icon_smile.gif

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:25am
post #22 of 36

If I was in y'alls neighborhood I would most definitely join! But, I am way down here in Alabama. I've wanted to volunteer in some way w/ baking, but I didn't know how to go about it. I'm going to call the Ronald McDonald house in Birmingham tomorrow and see if I can do something similar to what Icing Smiles does. If I can't for whatever reason, maybe sometime in the future I can get a chapter of Icing Smiles here! Thank you for the info!!!

naunie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naunie2 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 10:08am
post #23 of 36

Just went to facebook. This is so GREAT, I would love to be apart of it.

SugarNSpiceDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 10:59am
post #24 of 36

This is just so sweet. I emailed her and posted a msg on her wall. I don't know if they are out here or not. But if not, I'd love to get it started! I'm excited! icon_biggrin.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:03am
post #25 of 36

Shanney54 - From what I saw, they are looking for decorators all over the U.S. and they have connections to the Ronald McDonald house. I bet they would love your help!

I also read that they could use holiday treats to have in the kitchen of places like the Ronald McDonald house. As I don't do cakes, but decorated cookies, this might be the fit for me. icon_smile.gif

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:12pm
post #26 of 36

I too was looking for some way to give back and actually wanted to do something like this this is awesome will be signing up, thanks for the info!!!!!

ksmith1012 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:08pm
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanney54

If I was in y'alls neighborhood I would most definitely join! But, I am way down here in Alabama. I've wanted to volunteer in some way w/ baking, but I didn't know how to go about it. I'm going to call the Ronald McDonald house in Birmingham tomorrow and see if I can do something similar to what Icing Smiles does. If I can't for whatever reason, maybe sometime in the future I can get a chapter of Icing Smiles here! Thank you for the info!!!

Hi Shanney!

Yes, the others are correct. Tracy is looking for decorators all over the US! You do not have to be in Ohio. She will contact you when she gets a request from someone in your area. The more decorators she has in different states, the more families she can help! I have been asked to help my first family--- and it turns out it is literally, my family! One of my cousins saw the Icing Smiles page and just wrote her telling about how much something like this means to families with ill children. Her son will be turning two and he was born with a congenital heart defect and has already had two pacemakers put in. She wasn't sure he would make it to his second birthday. I was so happy when Tracy asked me if I wanted to surprise them- and she was even more surprised when I told her it was my cousin!

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:21pm
post #28 of 36

Posted on FB too. Seems like a great cause.

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:05pm
post #29 of 36

Oh ok! I saw the part about cake decorators all over the US, but when I went to the site it seemed like that was a chapter for just Ohio. I must have just misunderstood it, I was on my way to bed when I found out that my roof was/is leaking. Stayed up to clean the water and then got on CC half asleep! lol

bakemeacakemd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeacakemd Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 9:00pm
post #30 of 36

Tracy from Icing Smiles here! Now I know the post on Cake Central that everyone was referring too! I want to thank everyone sincerely for their interest in helping. We are trying to schedule our July cakes and get on top of the offers to help. We can use everyone in some capacity so please don't hesitate to contact us. We will find a good fit for your skills and interests.

Forever grateful,

Tracy
[email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%