Home Processor Permit In New York State?

Business By LindaF144a Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 4:05pm by LindaF144a

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 3

Has anybody had any experience with this?

Here is an article where it is mentioned:

http://www.ulsterpublishing.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article&articleID=499894

Here is the NY state site:

http://opal.gorr.state.ny.us/gorr/pas/paslib.nsf/WebDocIDs/95C993AE9D289F3685257154006BF0EB?OpenDocument

I thought in NY state you had to have a commercial kitchen, but this makes it sound like there are exceptions. This doesn't work for cake decorating I think. It is more for selling at farmer's market. We buy all the time form a Mennonite couple that sells baked goods and sells them at our local farmer's market. I'm wondering if anybody else has done this or is doing it now in NY.

Thanks.

2 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 3

You still have to check your local zoning and as long as that is okay, it can be done. It will give you the okay to wholesale out too. Which depending on how its interpreted will depend on what you can get away with doing. You can not advertise so unless you have some connections or are able to make them you are pretty limited.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

You still have to check your local zoning and as long as that is okay, it can be done. It will give you the okay to wholesale out too. Which depending on how its interpreted will depend on what you can get away with doing. You can not advertise so unless you have some connections or are able to make them you are pretty limited.

I just got a phone call from the Department of Agriculture and this can be done.
You are right, no advertising whatsoever. I can't figure out why, but I'm sure I'll get more info if I pursue this further.

You can do wholesale and at farmer's markets. There is one in my area.

This sounds interesting enough that I might just have to take this seriously. Thanks for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%