How Would I Make This Robot Cake?

Decorating By shannonlovebug Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 1:34pm by ikklejo

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 4

I have to make a cake to match this invitation. Rather than having him lie flat I'd like him to be sitting up (similar to the second picture). What would be the best way to construct this?

I would REALLY like the head to be separated from the body with a coil just like the picture but I have no idea how I would go about doing that.

I'll probably use pvc pipe covered in fondant for the arms and RKT for the legs & feet (unless someone has a better idea?). The body and head would be the actual cake.

Would love some ideas and advice. Thanks!!!

PS- this is going to be a pretty small cake...probably 6" for the head and 8" for the body
LL
LL

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 4

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00reMEJiKcZpkY/Metal-Spiral-Candle-Holder-CH-0004-.jpg

wonder if you could find something like this? This is a candle holder.......I'm wondering if you wouldn't be able to just coil some really thick wire, maybe even get some metal tubing (copper?) from the hardware store and coil it (might even be able to buy a big strong spring of some sort and stretch it out a bit) and then attach a cake board to the top of it for the head cake to sit on?

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 4

To separate the head and body and give that coil effect, I would use copper tubing and paint it silver or wrap it in aluminum foil. This way it would be sturdy enough to support a structure such as a head. IMHO. Not really sure, never done a cake like that, but good luck. Very cute idea

ikklejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ikklejo Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 4

I would suggest maybe for the arms and legs using rice krispie/cereal treats covered in modeling chocolate, its brilliant for constructing things as you can mould to any shape and totally edible! Im not sure about the head on a coil bit tho? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%