I'm Confused, Fondant Spoils????

Decorating By tiggerjo Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 4:36pm by Marianna46

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 7

In past posts, I understood that you could make fondant decorations months in advance. Now today, advice is to use it within a month. Can it be kept longer or not?

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 7

Where'd today's advice come from?

I have flowers on a dummy cake that have been there 4 years. I wouldn't eat them because of the dust, but otherwise they're fine.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 7

Leah, I think she's talking about un-used fondant.

For a fresh taste it is recommended that you use it within 2 weeks if stored unrefridgerated and within a month if refridgerated.

You can, however, keep it in the fridge for a very long time to make figurines and other non edibles. As for already made flowers and figurines, they will keep forever if you keep them out of the humidity and light. Basically they will dry hard as a rock but humidity will soften them up and light will discolor them over time. And, of course, dust doesn't help anything so keep them covered but not air tight (which creates humidty)

HTH

Cat

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 7

We've kept tubs of fondant in our closet for months...It seems like about 6 months after opening it develops a soapy taste....

Like Leah said, Go ahead and make decorations...Just advise people not to eat them.

Paul

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 7

I'm pretty sure the Satin Ice tub says it's good on the shelf for six months. Once I open it, I stick the tub in the fridge and it lasts a good long time.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 7

What about Wilton Fondant? I just looked at the box and there is nothing about life span, before or after it is opened? I opened one for my class and used about 1/4 cup of it. I have it sitting in my pantry. Should I refrigerate it? And how long does it last unopened?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 7

Fondant does not need to be refrigerated if it's going to be used within about 2 months - at least that's what I've heard. But I've had Satin Ice, FondX and my home-made MFF (that's Michele Foster's fondant) hanging around opened, but well-sealed from the air, for six months or so and no one could tell the difference when I used it. If you're going to keep it for a long time, freeze it and let it thaw completely before you unwrap it to avoid the deleterious effects of the condensation. I mean, condensation finally dries up, but depending on the humidity in the air, it can take hours or even days to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%