New To Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By d925marie Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 5:39am by hvanaalst

d925marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d925marie Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:54am
post #1 of 3

I don't know if there is another thread asking this question. But here goes...I have recently decided to give marshamallow fondant a good serious try. I made a batch once, and didnt like it, so here I am trying it again.

First question: I've been told to color the marshmallows before adding the powdered sugar or to add color later. Which works best for you and why?

Second question: My fondant tore a lot. What did i do wrong?

Third Question: When i rolled it out to put it on the cake, i noticed a ton of tiny holes, this may be related to why ever it tore. If not, how do I fix that?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:39am
post #2 of 3

First question: I've been told to color the marshmallows before adding the powdered sugar or to add color later. Which works best for you and why?

Best to add color before adding any powdered sugar IF you are coloring the whole batch one color. Same with flavoring. If you are making a couple of different colors from the same batch then color it after your dough has been made. No matter when you color it you won't get the true color for at least 24 hours as the color develops overnight in the fridge.

Second question: My fondant tore a lot. What did i do wrong?

Sounds like it didn't have enough powdered sugar. Fondant should feel like really good pizza dough. Soft and springy but not dry and cracking. If it's sticky add more powdered sugar, if it's dry and cracking then add more crisco.

Third Question: When i rolled it out to put it on the cake, i noticed a ton of tiny holes, this may be related to why ever it tore. If not, how do I fix that?

Once you have your texture right you need to make sure you don't roll it too thin. About the thickness of a nickle will work beautifully. Not having enough powedered sugar combined with rolling it too thick will cause tearing. Conversely, if you roll it too thick then gravity will make it stretch down your cake and you will have tearing.

Like anything else in cake decorating it will take practice adn trial and error to get this right. HTH! Cat

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:39am
post #3 of 3

I use marshmallow fondant all the time. It is really important to knead it really well to get all the icing sugar well incorporated and the air bubbles out. That will probably help the little holes. If it is tearing it sounds like too much icing sugar or not enough shortening while you are kneading it.

If I need a lot of one color I put the color in the marshmallows but generally have to add more color when after to make it darker. If i just need a little I color it after and that works fine too.

If you let it rest over night it is much easier to work with too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%