Leaf Tips Vs. Cutting The Bag?!

Decorating By rkei Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 12:03am by Nissan10

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:26am
post #1 of 13

I have a leaf tip #67 and it SUCKS. It has made leaves for me ONCE. Some people were saying to get #300 something tip... but I won't be able to go to a store for like 2 weeks! And i guess there is some way to cut the bag and it will make a leaf?? Or do I just need to make my icing really thin? Thanks

12 replies
Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:41am
post #2 of 13

Your icing does need to be thin and it is helpful to add light corn syrup to your icing to make the leaf tips pretty. I have really good luck with that. I'm not sure about the #300 tip or the bag technique. Good luck and hope this helps.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:46am
post #3 of 13

I took a toothpick and opened the end of mine a little more and that seemed to do the trick. Thinner icing helps as well.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:52am
post #4 of 13

Thin icing will help. The 352 tip (I think) is worth it when you can find it.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:55am
post #5 of 13

there are 2 types of leaf tips & I also hate the one you're referring to, but check out the other kind (the bottom right corner), they're awesome. you could also cut your bag tip easily into this shape.
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30DB31-475A-BAC0-5ED1961209FACA13

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:59am
post #6 of 13

Cut the bag and you won't have to fight with the darn tips! I use parchment bags, cut a V (start small, you can always cut it larger) then in the point of the V cut a little straight line which will give you the vein. It's a good technique to have in your bag of tricks icon_smile.gif

rkei Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 13

How do I cut the bag? Like this shape: > or like this < Make any sense?

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 13

Judging from the leaf tip pics I'd say cut the bag like this ">" Look at eh tips or tip pics, that should explain/demonstrate it better.

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 13

I love the tip/trick about using the icing bag and cutting it to make the leaf shape. That is great. But if it doesn't work, my Wilton instructor opened the ends of each of our leaf tips in class and it seemed to help a lot!

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:35pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks for bringing this up, rkei! I made this cake yesterday for my mother in law's birthday. I wanted to have lovely sunflower petals like I'd seen from lots of other cakes on this site (buttercream made with leaf tips). Unfortunately, I battled and battled with my tip #68 and this was as good as I got it (even after wiggling my tip more and more open). I ended up having to mix so much piping gel into my bc in an attempt to get points at the end of my petals that it all almost melted together once it was on the cake.

But after reading the posts of you lovely CCers, I went to my box of frosting tips and, lo and behold, I DO have that 355 tip. And now I remember thinking the one time I used it in the past that it was much easier to use. Too bad I didn't think of it yesterday!
LL

rkei Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:25pm
post #11 of 13

How do you "open" the ends of the leaf tip??!

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:45pm
post #12 of 13

To open tips #67 or 68 a bit more, put a butter knife or spatula (whatever you have handy) in opening of the long direction of the tip and wiggle it back and forth. It doesn't take much pressure to enlarge that opening a bit further, and it does make the tip produce better looking leaves (in my opinion). But it doesn't make enough of a difference to make me happy about using those tips. I'm going to stick with my 355, and I think the idea of snipping the end of a pastry bag to the correct shape is great!

Nissan10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nissan10 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:03am
post #13 of 13

To cut the bag without using a leaf tip cut the bag where it comes to a tip and cut it at a angle like this < but turn that symbol upright and start out small and try it because the bigger you make your cut the bigger the leaf. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%