Go To Chocolate Cake Recipe?

Baking By mustangsallii Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 1:31pm by terrig007

mustangsallii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustangsallii Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 13

I'm looking for a new chocolate cake recipe to use for tiered and carved cakes. I have a tiered/carved chocolate cake to do in the next couple weeks and would like to try something new. Share your tried and true chocolate cake recipe for a tiered/carved cake. Thanks!

12 replies
thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:06am
post #2 of 13

The recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can is absolutely fab! I use it all the time and get rave reviews.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:49am
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thin4life

The recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can is absolutely fab! I use it all the time and get rave reviews.

Ditto. It's the only scratch cake I can actually make and it tastes good! I've not tried it for carving, so no testimony on it for that purpose from me.

But for a great chocolate cake? Oh yeah, baby! thumbs_up.gif

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:09am
post #4 of 13

My Go To chocolate cake recipe is from this site. It's CakeMommyTx's Triple Chocolate Fudge cake (http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15158/triple-chocolate-fudge-cake). It's moist and dense, and tastes great. I've stacked it, but not carved it, but I think it would be fine for carving.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:13am
post #5 of 13

been using this one, since i read it on here. Double chocolate layer cake from epicurious.com hth delicious!!!

mustangsallii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustangsallii Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:16am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarks0

My Go To chocolate cake recipe is from this site. It's CakeMommyTx's Triple Chocolate Fudge cake (http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15158/triple-chocolate-fudge-cake). It's moist and dense, and tastes great. I've stacked it, but not carved it, but I think it would be fine for carving.

Wow, my mouth is watering just thinking about this....

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:56am
post #7 of 13

ditto icer, epicurious double chocolate layer cake

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:13am
post #8 of 13

Can someone tell me the difference between the BC Triple Fudge Cake Mix and the Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Mix besides the chocolate chips?

I would love to try CakeMommyTx's recipe but BC mixes are dairy and I usually need to avoid dairy in my baking. I can sub for the chocolate milk, but I just don't know what the taste difference is between the two mixes.

Thanks,
Kathi

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 8:00am
post #9 of 13

dark chocolate cake on this site... icon_biggrin.gif oh yes please. lol. people who dont like cake come back for more with that one. to carve, its much easier if the cake is frozen/semi frozen though.

FEIwannabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FEIwannabe Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:46am
post #10 of 13

indydebi and thin4life:
I have had great sucess with the Hershey's cake recipe. EVERYONE loves it.
However, I can't imagine that it's easily carve-able.
I have a hard time even leveling it. For me it seems to not cut cleanly. Maybe my knife is the problem (even tho I don't have a problem with the knife on other recipies. Maybe I need to bake it a few minutes longer. Do you have any tricks to leveling it?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:58am
post #11 of 13

no problems leveling at all. My understanding from the cake carving experts on here is to work with cake that is slightly frozen.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:16pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

been using this one, since i read it on here. Double chocolate layer cake from epicurious.com hth delicious!!!

this is mine too!

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:31pm
post #13 of 13

I use Sylvia Weinstock's recipe and everyone loves it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%