Yet More Mmf Questions

Decorating By sulia Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 11:43pm by catlharper

sulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulia Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 3

hi all

i have been making mmf and like it a lot but i'm not sure that its so easy to work with? i find that it stiffens quite quickly making it difficult to knead (often have to warm it a bit in the microwave).
also, is it supposed to be stretchy? i find that when i roll it out it the shape always ends up a bit smaller as it shrinks a little.
finally, i am trying my hand at molding and even though i mixed in some tylose into the MMF, its still too soft to work with. i tried to make jerry (from tom and jerry) and i roll a perfect ball for his head, but the minute i set it down, the ball collapses into a spherical shape. (the embarassing photo is in my pics) any ideas how to ensure my shapes stay how they should be?

any help/advice would really be appreciated
sulia

2 replies
chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 3

I never use strait fondant for my items. I always mix gumpaste and fondant. a little more gumpaste if I need peices to set up quicker (like a head or such, that you cant sit down and allow to 'settle') But I always mix them. I even like to put a little gumpaste in my fondant that I am cutting shapes out of. (like with a cookie cutter) just for them to 'set' a little quicker.

yes, I always have to microwave mine- and it does seem to shrink or pull pretty easy, depending on what thicknes you get.. LOL too thick it shrinks, a bit too thin and it grows bigger.. LOL

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 3

MMF when it's the proper consistancy will feel like good soft pizza dough. Just knead it till you get it to that point. When making something like a head you may want to use gumpaste instead or a 50/50 of fondant and gumpaste.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%