Made Vs. Bought Fondant

Business By Megabot Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm by Denise

Megabot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megabot Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 63

I was curious whether professional bakeries use homemade or bought fondant. I've heard discussions about scratch or boxes cake mixes but not about fondant. Thanks!

62 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 63

I bought all of my fondant. I notice Duff has many many MANY tubs of fondant sitting in his shop.

If it's good enough for Duff, it's good enough for me! thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 63

We use Michele Foster's fondant in the baker where I work. I've never used or tasted a pre-made fondant that even came close to the taste or workability of her recipe. There are two of us that make it a couple of times a week. It's pretty easy to make, inexpensive to make and for workability it's "hands down" the BEST. I refer to it as "user friendly" icon_lol.gif

It isn't the fact that it's"made from scratch" that I prefer her fondant it's just that I like it that much better and it's worth the extra effort. As far as "scratch" goes..we used doctored mixes for most of our cakes. We do have 3 or 4 cakes that are "scratch only" but most are doctored mixes.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 63

I buy my own. I have tried to make many different recipes and never have good luck with them. I tried the Michele Foster's and didn't have any luck with it. I know the bakery that Bronwen Weber works does not make their own fondant.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 63

I used to make my own, until I burned up my KA!!! So now I buy it. I like Amoretti's the best, but it is fairly pricey, so I use Satin Ice.

Megabot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megabot Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 63

If you buy your fondant, what kind to you buy and where do you buy it??

indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 63

Satin Ice and Chocopan.
From my local cake supply shop on the west side of Indpls.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 63

I make my own because it is so much cheaper for me to make it. The recipe I use is very quick, easy, and yields a large amount.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 63

I buy mine from CK products, Albert Uster, or Fondariffic. I use Fondx, Satin Ice, Fondariffic, Chocopan, and Massa.

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:23pm
post #10 of 63

Jillmakescakes, Which recipe do you use. I'm experimenting with different recipes to find which one works best for me.
Thanks

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 63

I use Fondx and Massa, purchased from CK products and Albert Uster. I use way too much to make it myself, and I love the way Fondx and Massa handles and tastes.

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 63

I make my own. I live hours away from any place that sells fondant in tubs and I can't afford to by the little packages that wal mart sometimes carries or pay for tubs to be shipped. I'm just starting out and need to save where I can. though I am hoping in a few years after I get my own shop and make it into the red I will start ordering it in bulk.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:54pm
post #13 of 63

i hope that jillmakescakes will share her recipe also. I too, make michelle fosters fondant and love it. But i am always loving to try other peoples recipes. I made toba garretts fondant also. I really liked that also.

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:45am
post #14 of 63

I live in NYC and I pay $ 22.95 per container of bought fondant. I get marshmellow and powdered sugar for 2.89. Bought fondant tastes awful. MMF is delicious. Bought was easier to work with until I learned how to control MMF, so the answer is easy for me. MMF all the way! icon_biggrin.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:10am
post #15 of 63

MFF, cheap, easy and fast to make, easy to work with

twinkie126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkie126 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:36am
post #16 of 63

I used to make my own fondant mmf and I put all my numbers together, time, good quality marshmellow and sugar, I decided to buy it because I was expending almost the same as if I buy it premade. After so many hours of work I was totally tired, and not energy to finish the cakes. I bought all my fondant now and I can actually booked more cakes, time is money as well. The satin Ice is good but Petin Ice is the best, is more flexible and moist enough then never brake or dry like the satin Ice one. Only the new buttercream flavor from Satin Ice and the new colors have the perfect texture. I will never go back to the home made fondant, is not worth it.

indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:12am
post #17 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkie126

.... time is money as well.

Ab-so-Freakin'-lutely!!!!

It is repeatedly frustrating when I see many pricing questions and the value of TIME is rarely, if ever, factored into the cost.

I've read thread after thread after thread of how long it takes to make gumpaste flowers .... which just confirmed my decision to buy 'em, not make 'em.

Time. Is. Money.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:22am
post #18 of 63

i recently was at my local cake store and they were raving about pettinice. I tend to trust this person because she makes a lot of cakes and is well known in the area for her work/knowledge. I have used Satin ice (said that was also good but it seems they prefer Pettinice) but does anyone else like Pettinice? I'm going to try making Michele Foster's recipe just to try it.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:27am
post #19 of 63

I made Michele Foster's for the first time this week and probably won't go back to mmf. It tastes wonderful but isn't too sweet and has a good texture. I was able to use it on other things besides just covering the cake and it worked really well for me.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:28am
post #20 of 63

I just went through about 50 pounds of Pettinice and have returned to my beloved Fondx. The Pettinice was just way too soft and stretchy for how thin I like to roll fondant, although it tastes really good.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:29pm
post #21 of 63

I hate MMF. I made it once - once. Never again. What a mess. Harder to work with than commercial fondant. And I can spot that stuff from 6 feet away on a cake. I know some of you will disagree, but it always looks sort of "bumpy" to me

Anyway, i've been using SatinIce for years, but recently I picked up 10 pounds of PettinIce and like it a LOT. I also bought 10 pounds of Fondex and like the workability of it, but it had virtually no taste. Strange.

I've used the Albert Uster stuff, and while I like it, for the price it's not worth the $$$$ extra.

So basically, I'm no longer brand loyal.

mamawrobin Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:53pm
post #22 of 63

[quote="leah_s"]I hate MMF. I made it once - once. Never again. What a mess. Harder to work with than commercial fondant. And I can spot that stuff from 6 feet away on a cake. I know some of you will disagree, but it always looks sort of "bumpy" to me

Agree with you 100%. I absolutely HATE the stuff. Not only does it "look sort of bumpy" it has a certain "greasy/slimy" look to it. AND...although I've attempted to make it several times....yep...several times. icon_rolleyes.gif Should have stopped at "once" myself. icon_lol.gif In my opinion it just isn't a very good quality fondant.

EllieA Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:51pm
post #23 of 63

Maybe it looks that way to you because at the beginning it's difficult to get the hang of it, but once you do, it's really easy, it looks wonderful and it's cheap. I don't do it manually, I use my KitchenAid and the process literally takes 5 minutes. I can put any flavor or color I want and everybody loves it. I don't get any bumps at all! Satin Ice looks nice but it tastes awful!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 9:29pm
post #24 of 63

I can't stand MMF. Way too sweet and no one liked it out of my taste testers, but one child with a wicked sweet tooth. The adults about gagged.
MFF. That recipe won hands down for the homemade fondant.
However, I buy Massa and it's fabulous. Great to work with as well as good taste and not killer sweet. Hardly anyone peels it off of their cakes either. I can roll it super thin too which is a plus.
Time is money and I don't want to waste my time. I can get more work done now that it's purchased and I don't have to trouble shoot if the fondant will work because of the weather of something changing.
I just crack open the container and go to town, so much easier.
I personally think that fondant should be eaten and not be pulled off. It can of course, but if someone is paying more for it they might as well get to eat it rather than just look at it.
With the Massa it can get rolled so thin that it saves me $$$ in the long run because it goes further.

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 9:55pm
post #25 of 63

I've tried about every kind of fondant...
FondX, Massa, Satin Ice, ChocoPan, Fondarific, MMF.

I really like Massa but that's probably more because I have the most experience with it. I can't stand Satin Ice as it just doesn't cooperate with me. I really like ChocoPan, too.

MMF was fine once I firgured it out and for when I need a quick batch and don't feel like spending $$$ on fondant I'll make a batch.

I just made M Foster's this weekend and I really liked the texture. I'll be using it in a few days so I'll know for sure then. But it felt more 'real' if that makes sense. I guess I should say more like I am used to.

That said, I don't mind the MMF and I have found many adults that really like it. I did have to play with the proportions though, I sometimes find it gets dry and crumbly quick quickly.

EllieA Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:35am
post #26 of 63

That said, I don't mind the MMF and I have found many adults that really like it. I did have to play with the proportions though, I sometimes find it gets dry and crumbly quick quickly.

Christina: When that happens, just put your dry and crumbly MMF in your Kitchen Aid, a cup of marshmellows/1 tblspn of water in the microwave, mix both and the MMF will be as good as new!

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:22am
post #27 of 63

Have had great results with Michele Foster's...but once I start renting out a kitchen for who knows, $20/hr? it's much more cost-effective to buy than to make. Plan on using Fodarific...a lot of the cake artists use it around here.

mamawrobin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:26am
post #28 of 63

[quote="_christina_"]I've tried about every kind of fondant...
FondX, Massa, , ChocoPan, Fondarific, MMF.

I just made M Foster's this weekend and I really liked the texture. I'll be using it in a few days so I'll know for sure then. But it felt more 'real' if that makes sense. I guess I should say more like I am used to.

I've been "hooked" since I made my first batch of Michele Foster's fondant. "Felt more real" makes perfect sense to me I do understand what you're saying. When you get ready to use it if you'll knead about a handful at a time and then knead it together it will go much faster.

I'll bet that you're going to love the workability of this fondant and the taste is absolutely divine. Using cornstarch gives me the very best results when working with this fonda
nt.

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:45am
post #29 of 63

I make my own Gelatin Fondant after a tweaked recipe from Colette Peters. It takes me exactly 12 minutes to make a batch of approx. 3 lbs and that includes measuring all ingredients and sifting the PS.

There is no cake decorating store anywhere near me so buying fondant always has additional shipping costs and I have calculated that I pay myself around 36 $/hour when I make it myself instead of buying it. Plus, I know the exact ingredients that go in (all natural) and I take pride in EVERYTHING in and on my cakes being of high homemade quality icon_biggrin.gif

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm
post #30 of 63

Where can you buy the Massa fondant? Is it only in limited areas? (I'm in the Wash. DC area)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%