How To Keep A Toy Motorcycle To Stand Up On Cake Top

Decorating By Phyllis52 Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 3:10pm by Phyllis52

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 9

I bought a toy motorcycle for the top of a cake - but unfortunately the thing won't stay up by itself. Any ideas of how to keep it standing? I was thinking of maybe making something out of gumpaste to hold it up, but I'm not sure what......Thanks.

8 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 9

How about a rectangle strip of fondant, the same length and a little wider than the motorcyle on top tier and attach the motercycle to it with candy melts the same color as the fondant strip. You'll have to hold in place a little while til it sets.

yummy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 9

Forgot to say that the fondant should match your icing color and rolled very thin so it's not so obvious..

Phyllis52 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks Yummy - I didn't think of making a base and using candy melts. It will be a chocolate icing - so you think I could make a rectangle (or something like it) of candy melts and then attach it? Or should I stick with fondant?

yummy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 9

You're welcom Phyllis52.

I don't know. If you did a base out of chocolate melts I would do two mounds of of melts on top for the wheels could sit on hold til set.
It's definitely a possibility.

Now you have 2 options. Try both, come back and share what worked for you. Don't forget the pictures of the cake when finished.

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 9

I had this same problem with my Toy Story cake and thankfully my husband came to the rescue. icon_smile.gif I had a plastic Woody toy that I wanted to stand up on top of my cake (see pic). My husband drilled a small hole in both of his boots just deep enough to insert a skewer about 1/4". We drove the skewers into the top layer cake board and it worked like a charm! I don't know if there's a place for you to drill into the motorcycle, but that might be a great option for you.
LL

Phyllis52 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 9

Both great ideas - question though - is there any way I can make black chocolate melts to match the tires? And I looked at the bike and I can stick the skewers under it, I'll just have to color them black first.

I will be trying both and let you know (I won't be doing this until 2 months though) and then I'll get the picture on.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I didn't any notifications on my email.

Thanks so much for your help. thumbs_up.gif

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 9

Well, I suppose it depends on the weight of the motorcycle.

I used toothpicks and an indention in the cake just enough to help hold it. Covered the toothpicks with buttercream icing.

Check out my photo below. Hope it helps!
LL

Phyllis52 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 9

The darn thing is pretty heavy. I got it at the Harley Davidson store near me in York PA. I loved it until I thought about how to attach it. So it will be a lot of trial and error. I'd hate to have this thing keel over.....so I'll try all the suggestions! Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%