For Those Who Use Homemade Cake Relaease

Decorating By sweet_honesty Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 12:26am by sweet_honesty

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 18

Is it supposed to look like this??? I used the 2 part flour to one part each of oil and shortening ratio.
LL

17 replies
mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 18

I believe the recipe is one cup of each ingredient. Maybe that's why it looks weird. You can find the recipe here on CC.

sweet_honesty Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 18

I did get the recipe from here.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16204/cake-release-improved

The other recipes had comments suggesting better results using the 2:1:1 ratio. Was just wondering if it was meant to be so thick. I have no idea what "weird" looks like since I've never made it before.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 18

I tried the equal parts recipe and ended up using the 2 parts flour. Yes, it is thick and I use a paper towel to smear. I think it works great-never had a cake stick (knock on wood).

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 18

I use the cake release alot. The recipe I use is equal parts flour, oil, and shortening. I "paint" mine in the pan with a pastry brush. I doesn't work as well with chocolate cakes or cakes that have fruit, nuts, etc. in them. With those I use the cake release but also use parchment in the bottom of the pans.

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 18

Like meharding, I also use the 1:1:1 ratio and use a pastry brush to apply it to the pans. I have found that it works like a charm and is so much cheaper than buying it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 18

I also use equal portions. Been using it for years. Not a problem.

NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 18

I just made this for the first time recently using the 1:1:1 ratio. It worked wonders for me - my cakes came out cleaner than they ever have. I have made both white and chocolate cakes using this with no problems whatsoever. Like the the others, I 'paint' it on using a nylon pastry brush. SO much cheaper than buying ready-made Cake Release!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 18

I use the 1:1:1 recipe (with maybe a tad extra flour) and it turns out white and fluffy after beating on high like 10 minutes. I love it. I apply it with a silicone brush.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 18

I use ONLY homeade pan grease. 1:1:1 ratio. I "paint" it on with a pastry brush for even distribution thumbs_up.gif

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 18

I use 2 parts flour, 2 parts shortening, and 1 part oil. I've tried the 1,1,1 but for me it comes out really thin.

sweet_honesty Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:01pm
post #12 of 18

Well I am pleased to report that the 2:1:1 ratio worked like a charm. My cakes just popped right out. I guess it's like the Buckley's Cough Syrup of the cake world.....It looks awful but it works!!!!

Thanks for the input everyone.

ElmwoodHero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElmwoodHero Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:17pm
post #13 of 18

I never use cake release like this. i use pam-baking. if there are a lot of divots in the cake pan then i flour coat it.

kandyc10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyc10 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm
post #14 of 18

I use the 1 cup flour,oil,shortning and before I use it I spray the bottom of the pan only with a good helping of spray then use a paper towel and spread on the homemake release, for me it works great.

impala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
impala Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:39pm
post #15 of 18

I also you equal parts and use a pastry brush to apply to the pans. Works beautifully.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
post #16 of 18

Shortning spread with a bit of waxed paper then parchment (which gets greased) then four. Cakes pop out like they need to get somewhere. thumbs_up.gif

scorpio711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scorpio711 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:00pm
post #17 of 18

Hi, was wondering if this would work ok with pyrex bowls, I have to do a cake soon, one of Debbie Browns, and the 3 cakes are cooked in bowls. I am very nervous that the wont come out. Would appreciate some ideas lol from good old England

sweet_honesty Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:26am
post #18 of 18

I tried greasing and flouring but I obviously don't have the skill of my mother and grandmother cause I can never get the shortening spread evenly to get an even coating of flour. Result: hard bits of white stuff on the outside of the cake.

So lightning bulb comes on...I melt the shortening and spread it with a pastry brush then coat with flour. Cake comes out all right but I have kinda like an extra thin layer of crust on the outside that half adheres to the cake. Falls off in chunks. Gave a whole new meaning to crumb coat.

This method is the only one I've gotten to actually work for me. Plus it's cheaper than PAM which is like $7.00 USD a can here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%