How Do I Ice?

Decorating By amarilloyankee Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 3:14pm by amarilloyankee

amarilloyankee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarilloyankee Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:00am
post #1 of 13

If I am doing shell border on the entire cake (baby bootie) do I do an icing layer after the thin crumb coat or do I shell ice after the crumb coat. Thanks in advance. You ladies rock cause ya'll have helped me so much. Thank you

12 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:12am
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarilloyankee

If I am doing shell border on the entire cake (baby bootie) do I do an icing layer after the thin crumb coat or do I shell ice after the crumb coat. Thanks in advance. You ladies rock cause ya'll have helped me so much. Thank you

I would probably do a slightly thicker crumb coat in the same color you are going to do the shells....if your icing is super "crummy" then go over it one more time with another thin layer...but otherwise if the crumb coat is pretty clean, then yeah just do it in whatever color you want to shell it in, in case you have a few small gaps.

Have fun!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:18am
post #3 of 13

That's great advice from Kitagirl, to match your crumb coat color the same as your shell border colors.

I agree, your crumb coat should be enough since you're covering it with thick shells. You probably wouldn't want to eat so much icing on the cake if it included a final coat of icing too.

amarilloyankee Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:28am
post #4 of 13

Thanks Ladies icon_smile.gif

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:37am
post #5 of 13

Hey amarillo, welcome to CC, and I just saw your signiture line about being a surrogate and it reminded me of a thread started by Echooo, it's about her daughter wanting to be a surrogate, maybe you could find it and share some of your situation with her! Sorry to butt in, I just know from reading her post she's needing support right now!

amarilloyankee Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:57am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez

Hey amarillo, welcome to CC, and I just saw your signiture line about being a surrogate and it reminded me of a thread started by Echooo, it's about her daughter wanting to be a surrogate, maybe you could find it and share some of your situation with her! Sorry to butt in, I just know from reading her post she's needing support right now!

Absolutely!! I am a proud surrogate mom...and I am also a proud known egg donor to 8 adorable kiddos (who I get pictures of and have spent time with and all that fun stuff) Just as ya'll wonderful ladies have been teaching me so much about cakes.. I have always felt it is my duty to help educate others on surrogacy and egg donation since most people have only heard the horror stories and not the truly amazing miracles that happen all the time! icon_smile.gif

I have a hard time finding things on here but hopefully I will find the thread! icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:44am
post #7 of 13
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez

Absolutely!! I am a proud surrogate mom...and I am also a proud known egg donor to 8 adorable kiddos (who I get pictures of and have spent time with and all that fun stuff) Just as ya'll wonderful ladies have been teaching me so much about cakes.. I have always felt it is my duty to help educate others on surrogacy and egg donation since most people have only heard the horror stories and not the truly amazing miracles that happen all the time! icon_smile.gif

I have a hard time finding things on here but hopefully I will find the thread! icon_smile.gif

Here is a direct link to the thread.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-684900-daughter.html+surrogate

DesignGirlinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignGirlinMO Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:37am
post #8 of 13

amarillo, as a woman who suffered from infertility for 2 long years (filled with endless temperature charting, ovulation test kits, herbal remedies, medical tests & procedures, etc. etc. etc.), I just want to say how much I admire your precious gift to moms that are unable to conceive on their own! Through medication & surgery, I luckily conceived & am now the proud mommy of a sweet 14 month-old little boy who is the center of my world. God bless you!

amarilloyankee Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:40am
post #9 of 13

I will reply to the surrogacy post tomorrow right now i am in tears. I iced my cake and it looked great then my icing slid off. Why would that happen? Do i have it too thin or too thick? Or should i try a new buttercream recipe (indydebbi) i am in tears. Its almost like its too heavy ( the icing)

NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:35am
post #10 of 13
Quote:

I will reply to the surrogacy post tomorrow right now i am in tears. I iced my cake and it looked great then my icing slid off. Why would that happen? Do i have it too thin or too thick? Or should i try a new buttercream recipe (indydebbi) i am in tears. Its almost like its too heavy ( the icing)

Just went through this myself...awful experience! I'm so sorry to share it with you. icon_sad.gif Do you use butter in your recipe? How about hi-ratio shortening? I used to use butter without the hi-ratio and started having that problem once it got hot here. SugarShack suggested that I switch to all hi-ratio with a bit of butter flavoring to stand up to the heat. Haven't made a cake with her recs yet, but won't be making another one with my old ways, I guarantee! Sharon knows what she's talking about!

In the short-term, you could try re-mixing your icing with some added sugar to thicken it up a bit and keep it in an air-conditioned area (or you could chill in your frig). HTH

DesignGirlinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignGirlinMO Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:34pm
post #11 of 13

Aw honey, I'm sorry! I would try remixing it as suggested with some additional powdered sugar to stiffen it up, and also make sure you're using a recipe with all shortening (no butter). Haven't tried the hi-ratio shortening myself, but I've heard it's much better in warmer weather. Crank the a/c, and lastly, I've also heard that burning a couple of candles in the room where you're working helps reduce the amount of humidity, which can also affect your icing consistency. Good luck!

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 13

Amarillo- that is amazing! You must be such a strong woman, I don't know if I could do that! What an amazing gift you've given to people!

As for your BC, It MAY have slid off because you had it too thick? How thick was it?

amarilloyankee Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:14pm
post #13 of 13

I ended up using Indydebi recipe (SAVED ME) I realized using her recipe that mine was way too soft!! Her recipe worked great and saved the day!! I did have to do a little repair when I delivered the cake (not sure why it slid a little) but it also look MUCH better with the thicker icing!

Here's the finished product! I think it was pretty good..my first stacked cake
LL
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%