Hdi? Store A Fondant Cake For The Next Day?

Decorating By lilerintron Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 6:20am by lilerintron

lilerintron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilerintron Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 12:16am
post #1 of 7

Hey guys, I live in Northern Japan and the humidity is crazy! Temps are from 80 - 90 and up to 73% humidity.

I did a baby shower cake and the BC was melting in my kitchen, so after I got the fondant on I placed the cake in the 'fridge because it was not due until the following morning.

When I took it out in the AM the condensation made the MMF sweat, causing it to be sticky.

Quick fix was to just tell people to pull it off as I was plating the cake. And it was a really thin layer, so it wasn't to messy, I just didn't like how it tasted, it's usually pretty good.

So for future reference how can I avoid this from happening, but also make sure the BC does not melt... would the best thing be to do all the fondant work and accents the day the cake is due?

6 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 12:34am
post #2 of 7

What BC recipe do you use? I use Indydebi's and it works great here in AR, where we have very high humidity!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 12:47am
post #3 of 7

Wow! That's really LOW humidity in these parts!!

I would not have put it in the fridge at all.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:01am
post #4 of 7

Wow! That's really LOW humidity in these parts!!

I would not have put it in the fridge at all.

lilerintron Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:57am
post #5 of 7

The BC recipe was from a friend.. perhaps I should have thickened it up a bit to help the melting. Maybe that will help and then I won't be so worried and stick it in the 'fridge next time.

It's all good, with every cake I make I learn something knew!

Thanks guys! icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:14am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilerintron

The BC recipe was from a friend.. perhaps I should have thickened it up a bit to help the melting. Maybe that will help and then I won't be so worried and stick it in the 'fridge next time.

I don't think that thickening icing will "help the melting" although using shortening only (no butter) will. Using an all shortening based buttercream is essential for me especially in the summer months. I made a three tiered cake a couple of weeks ago for a birthday party that was held outdoors. I delivered the cake at 2 PM and it wasn't cut until around 4:30 PM. Our temperature that day was 100 degrees with 98% humidity and the cake held very well. No melting, sweating or drooping in any way.
I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe exclusively. Someone posted a thread the other day with a "high humidity" buttercream recipe from Wilton. It also had Dream Whip listed as an ingredient..so apparently the powdered whipped topping is one reason this recipe holds up so well under these extreme conditions.
Goodness, if our humidity was only 73% I'd be grateful. icon_lol.gif

I NEVER refrigerate a cake. I don't use perishable fillings so that I don't have to. I ruined a cake by refrigerating it and I will not do that again. icon_lol.gif

lilerintron Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:20am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilerintron

I don't think that thickening icing will "help the melting" although using shortening only (no butter) will. Using an all shortening based buttercream is essential for me especially in the summer months. I made a three tiered cake a couple of weeks ago for a birthday party that was held outdoors. I delivered the cake at 2 PM and it wasn't cut until around 4:30 PM. Our temperature that day was 100 degrees with 98% humidity and the cake held very well. No melting, sweating or drooping in any way.
I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe exclusively. Someone posted a thread the other day with a "high humidity" buttercream recipe from Wilton. It also had Dream Whip listed as an ingredient..so apparently the powdered whipped topping is one reason this recipe holds up so well under these extreme conditions.
Goodness, if our humidity was only 73% I'd be grateful. icon_lol.gif

I NEVER refrigerate a cake. I don't use perishable fillings so that I don't have to. I ruined a cake by refrigerating it and I will not do that again. icon_lol.gif

Great tips thank you! Our summer just started and the humidity and temps will be going up in the next few weeks so I wanted to get this situation out of the way now before it gets worse! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%