Consulting Question

Business By _christina_ Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 8:51pm by _christina_

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Ladies,

I have been asked by a soon to open bakery to come in and help them get started off on the right foot. They have asked me to come on as a hired consultant.

My job would be to help with production numbers/multiplying recipes, connecting the owners to suppliers and wholesalers (I have done this for bakeries I have worked for) and the like.

My issue is I am not exactly sure how to charge. Before I was an employee f the places and just id it was my job. Now that I have my own business I need to figure out how much my time and knowledge is worth in this area.

Also, if they wanted me to do any work with recipes the fee would probably increase. The gig is probably only for 1 month or so.

5 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 6

I think I would charge by the hour. And not just for the time you are there at the bakery. If you do any work from home (preparing reports, that sort of thing) keep track of those hours and charge for that time also.

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, I agree that you should charge by the hour. And when you are considering what your hourly rate should be, make sure you keep in mind that you pay your own taxes on that rate (just like on the income you receive from your own business), so make sure you get enough to compensate you for your time, PLUS what it will cost you in taxes. I've worked with experts in other fields (from art to law--never food service) and I've seen hourly consulting rates starting at $35 per hour and going up from there. Maybe that helps.

Good luck!

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 6

Google Bakery/Baking Consultants and call them. Ask how much do they charge for the type of work that you are going to do. As I am writing this, I did just that and, although there were none in my town, there are a couple of all over my state. I'm sure you'll be able to contact one who can provide you with the information you need. You have knowledge that is very important for them so don't undersell yourself!

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 6

Google Bakery/Baking Consultants and call them. Ask how much do they charge for the type of work that you are going to do. As I am writing this, I did just that and, although there were none in my town, there are a couple of all over my state. I'm sure you'll be able to contact one who can provide you with the information you need. You have knowledge that is very important for them so don't undersell yourself!

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you ladies, I really appreciate the responses.

I usually tend to underestimate, rather than overestimate, my knowledge and talent as it's just safer to the ego. But I'm glad I asked the question here.

You guys seem to have the knack, on every post, to kick me in the pants to be honest with myself.

Plus, I didn't even think about the taxes issue. I have a lot to get thinking about. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%