Needing Some Help With My Trees!!

Decorating By bmarlow001 Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 10:56am by cakesbymark

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 11

I am in a decorating rut and I need some help!

I am making my sons 3 year birthday cake, it is a dinasour scene cake with mountains in the background, trees all over it, a river running through it and possibly a volcano off to the side.. I really want this cake to be awesome and filled with lots of details icon_smile.gif If anyone has any help as far as making different kinds of trees please please let me know! Also, if you have any other ideas to what little things I could add I would greatly appreciate it!

TIA
Brittany

10 replies
tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 11

I always like mixing textures. I think it makes for interesting art work. How about some blue piping gel for water?
For trees: How about some upside down sugar icecream cones decorated with royal icing. I'd use a leaf tip, and try to make them look like palm trees. Or, roll some green palm leaves out of fondant and attach to the sugar cone.
Rocks can be made out of fondant too. Dirt can be either crumbled up oreos or graham cracker crumbs. Grass can be butter cream pipped through a writing tip.
Graham crackers could also be cut with a serrated edged knife to make tree trunks.
I hope this gives you some ideas. I would try to incorporate some other pre-historic animals too, like maybe a pterodactyl flying by!

Good Luck!

bmarlow001 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you for that!

bmarlow001 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 11

anyone else? I would really like some tutorials on how to make different trees!

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 11

I've made trees from modelling chocolate...you can have all sorts of branches this way (think maple or oak tree). I have used green candy melts to pipe leaves on this type of tree, looked awesome. I have also used modelling chocolate for palm trees, but with gumpaste palm leaves. You can use pretzel sticks for trunks as well. Or, as a previous poster said, upside down mini ice cream cones for evergreens (covered in fondant or buttercream. Have fun!

bmarlow001 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 11

the ice cream cones are probably too big.. my bas is a 12x18x3 pan and I am making smaller stacked cakes around the back for mountains so I'm looking to just use the modeling chocolate or fondant for my trees... should I use wire to make my shape then cover it in the modeling chocolate or will the modeling chocolate harden nicely?

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 11

I made these trees for one of my sons school projects.

They are grape vines, dipped in chocolate, then in colored rice krispies. (put colored water in a spray bottle and spray them).

I love graham crackers for dirt. and it tastes really good against buttercream. Brown sugar is way too sweet.

I'd do some water, and of course, a hill or two. make them out of Rice Krispy treats if you need to.

Here is a cake I did for my sons 2nd birthday. its not dinosaur themed, but covered in graham crackers, has an oreo road, and hills.
LL
LL

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 11

sorry, didnt finish- Instead of the oreo road, do a piping gel creek. icon_smile.gif

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm
post #9 of 11

You can make fondant trees but making a cone shape then cutting with some small scissors, make christmas tree type trees, sure there is something on utube about this

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:25am
post #10 of 11

For small tress using modelling chocolate, I use a toothpick for the main trunk, then press in smaller branches. I don't use wire at all, doesn't seem to need it. Also, did you see the episode of Ace of Cakes where they did the cake for Alaska? They just piped on small trees, bigger at the base then smaller and smaller as they got to the top. For a small mountain, I might just do that.

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:56am
post #11 of 11

i made my trees using pretzel rods for the trunk and star tip for the leaves
they end up looking like pine tree's

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%