What Is The Best Way To Attach Ribbon To Bc?

Decorating By mareg Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 4:14pm by mareg

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 13

I have never done this without a grease mark. Any suggestions???

12 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 13

You can wet the ribbon and then run it through your fingers to get the excess moisture off of it and then run it around the cake and attach the ends together with a little blob of buttercream

The water makes the ribbon wet and the grease marks don't show

OR:

You could line the back of the ribbon with clear packaging tape, protecting it from the grease.

OR:

You could lay the ribbon over wax paper (waxy side against ribbon) then lay a towel over the wax paper and iron it, let it cool and peel off the wax paper and the wax will remain on the ribbon, giving it a protective coating.

OR:

You could cut a strip of wax paper the size and length your ribbon will be and wrap that around the cake first and then put your ribbon over top of it (be sure and let the staff know at the venue so they don't cut the wax paper and serve it with the cake lol)

OR:

You can get a paper towel and rub shortening onto your ribbon, getting it evenly "greased" so that any grease coming from your icing won't affect it anyhow.

Take your pick!!

I used to grease the ribbon, now I just wet it!

mareg Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 13

Does the water change the color of the ribbon. I have a bride that is giving me the ribbon because she wants the exact color. I like the waxing. I will try some of these. Thanks!

KHalstead Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 13

It does darken it a bit just like the actual grease will do.

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 13

I prefer the water as well! thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 13

This is how I do it. I cut a piece of wax paper the exact size of my ribbon and place the wax paper "ribbon on my cake" and secure the ends with a tiny piece of tape. Then I place the ribbon over the wax paper and secure with a corsage pin. It isn't "glued" to anything, the grease doesn't stain your ribbon and it's easy to remove for cutting. thumbs_up.gif

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 13

This may sound like a silly question but when using the water technique what happens when the water dries. I need to wrap silk ribbon around a wedding cake and then add a buttercream bead border on it.

KHalstead Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #8 of 13

basically I think the water turns the ribbon into a "wick" making it absorb the grease quickly.....so the whole thing stays "wet looking" (doesn't really look wet, just winds up a shade darker) even after it's dried

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:27am
post #9 of 13

I use the waxed paper lined ribbon method but attach the waxed to the ribbon with double sided scotch tape. So easy.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:48am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by annacakes

I use the waxed paper lined ribbon method but attach the waxed to the ribbon with double sided scotch tape. So easy.

A scrapbooking double sided tape dispenser makes it easy to do.

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:51am
post #11 of 13

This is slightly off topic, but I've been wondering how the bride and groom cut a wedding cake that has a fabric ribbon wrapped around it.

bunny520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunny520 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:00pm
post #12 of 13

i just did a cake like this (the two tiered in my photos) and i lined the back of the ribbon with packaging tape then trimmed it so it was flush to the edges of the ribbon. it actually only took like 10 minutes to do! just gotta watch out for air bubbles, but i only had two that i needed to work out. as far as attaching the ends, i used a teeny piece of tape and a blob of royal icing and had my sister hold it for about 5 minutes while it dried. when they cut it, theyll either stop at the ribbon, or just pop it...either way, its immediately taken into the back to get all cut up anyways! anyone who wanted a pic of the cake has already gotten one when they came in! i was super stressed about doing this but it all turned out great! hope this helps!

mareg Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:14pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks I think I'll try the packaging tape.... Cake is not till Oct...so I have time to work with it. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%