What Was I Thinking?

Baking By MerrySunshine Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 5:10am by MerrySunshine

MerrySunshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerrySunshine Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:14am
post #1 of 9

Oookaay... So, I am not a "professional" baker. I am a decorator at WalMart ( I know, I know... but I love my job and I just recently found out that I am a decent natural decorator.).

Anyhow, I made a trial batch of cookies for a friend who is getting married and wants cookies instead of cake, and they love them. It is a "cake" type of cookie. My husband's family calls them Christmas cookies. I don't know how else to describe them... but what I am trying to figure out is if I can make them in advance, how long in advance I can make them, and how I should store them.

The wedding is in October and I really don't want to make them more than a week ahead, but I need to make and decorate/glaze 300 cookies.

So, can I get a bit of advice from all the professionals? And I will give myself a touch of advice in not sticking my foot in my mouth and offering this up again. icon_wink.gif

8 replies
Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:03am
post #2 of 9

Hello.
I make several hundred cookies at Christmas time, so I have to start in advance (usually a month or so) or I'd never sleep! After my cookies are baked and thoroughly cooled, I store them in airtight containers and pop them in the freezer until I need to plate them up to give as gifts. As for the glazing, I imagine that if you get them glazed, freeze them in a single layer, then you should be able to stack and store them in the freezer until they're needed for the wedding. I have been freezing my Christmas cookies for years; as did my mother and grandmother before me. So this is a tried and true method. I hope it helps! Best of luck!

MerrySunshine Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:36am
post #3 of 9

I think that will be my only option! I don't think I am going to glaze them more than a few days in advance, though. Maybe even the day before and just store them in the cooler.

One advantage that I do have is that my husband and I run the family restaurant... so I have access to a HUGE Hobart mixer, restaurant size freezer, etc...

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:54am
post #4 of 9

Well there you go! Wish I had such equipment at Christmastime! Best of luck with your cookies!

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 9:02am
post #5 of 9

I've got myself in a similar situation. I'm doing cookies for my daughter's first birthday party. I'm planning on doing about 200-300 cookies. I'm planning on making the dough and cutting them out and then freeze them. Then when I have them all made, I can pop them into the oven one after another. Freeze the baked cookies then decorate about a week before. I guess I'm not planning on sleeping during that week. Lol! icon_eek.gif This is my first time making cut-out cookies. I've done some practice runs, but that's about it. And I want to try and make her cake too. I don't know what I was thinking!! Good luck with your cookies!!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:56am
post #6 of 9

Don't underestimate yourself Ms. Sunshine! What you do brings people joy and you get paid for it so therefore you're a pro. Whether you own a shop or work for someone else! We're just getting into cookies at my shop too! Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 9

For large orders 2 weeks before I freeze the cut cookie raw then place them in a Ziploc bag with parchment paper in between to avoid them welding together.

About 5 days before my event I start the process:

Day 1 - I cut my ribbons & stick my business labels on the back of the cello bags
Day 2 - I bake then flood the base color
Day 3 - I do the accent detail or decoration
Day 4 - I wrap the cookies

When everything goes according to plan I am usually ahead of schedule a day but when things don't go well that day is a savior.

MerrySunshine Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:09am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Don't underestimate yourself Ms. Sunshine! What you do brings people joy and you get paid for it so therefore you're a pro. Whether you own a shop or work for someone else! We're just getting into cookies at my shop too! Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Hey thanks! I kinda feel like the "in" outcast here, and that just makes me feel better.

MerrySunshine Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:10am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealconfections

For large orders 2 weeks before I freeze the cut cookie raw then place them in a Ziploc bag with parchment paper in between to avoid them welding together.

About 5 days before my event I start the process:

Day 1 - I cut my ribbons & stick my business labels on the back of the cello bags
Day 2 - I bake then flood the base color
Day 3 - I do the accent detail or decoration
Day 4 - I wrap the cookies

When everything goes according to plan I am usually ahead of schedule a day but when things don't go well that day is a savior.

Thank you so so so very much!

Can I ask, what kind of frosting you use and where you get your supplies from?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%