How Do I Stop My Fondant From Cracking!!!

Decorating By Nissan10 Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 9:54pm by WelshCakes

Nissan10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nissan10 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 9

My first fondant cake and i bought pre-made wilton fondant kneaded it, colored it red and everything was fine and then i put the foudant on the cake which is a monster truck. and it just starts cracking everywhere.. Any sugguestions??????? please help i have to have this cake done by tonight or early morning tomorrow!
Thanks, Kristi

8 replies
EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 9

I usually put the fondant on the cake and put a thin layer of Crisco on it. Then I cover it with a film of plastic. That usually keeps the fondant from cracking. If it is already on the truck, take a bit of Crisco and rub it, gently on the cracked parts. It'll get better!

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 9

I usually put the fondant on the cake and put a thin layer of Crisco on it. Then I cover it with a film of plastic. That usually keeps the fondant from cracking. If it is already on the truck, take a bit of Crisco and rub it, gently on the cracked parts. It'll get better!

Nissan10 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 9

I will give that a shot. Now i put it in the frigde does that make a difference will it mess up the fondant?

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 9

Unless you have a filling that must be refrigerated, there is no need to put the cake in the fridge. It will be fine left out overnight. I never put my cakes in the fridge once I have put the fondant on. HTH!

Nissan10 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you for the tips!!! ill post later and tell you how it worked out with pics! And i want everyone who reads and see's the picture's to be HONEST lol its my first cake with fondant so i dont have a clue what im doing lol. Thanks!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 9

Oh my gosh - I am having that same problem! I usually use fondarific, but it is so very hot, I am afraid it will melt, so I ordered fondx. The fondx did not arrive yet, so I bought Wilton and every tier is cracking on the corners (it is a 4 tier square). I have used so much Crisco it is crazy!! I never had this trouble before with Wilton! I wonder when they made it taste better it did something to the workability of it???

Nissan10 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 9

Hunnie, I have no idea this is my first time at the rodeo!!! with fondant... I used alot of crisco too it seems to be holding up but i have to deliever it in the morning we shall see how it holds up! I wish you luck hun!

WelshCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WelshCakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 9

I used to have the same issue with pre-made fondant. I highly recommend next time making your own MMF! Not only is it easier to work with but it also tastes better and costs substantially less. For now though... Crisco is the way to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%