What Is Best For Attaching Fondant Figures On A Cake??

Decorating By fondafondant Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 4:39am by SliceCakeStudio

fondafondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondafondant Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 13

I am attempting for the first time, to attach small previously cut out figures on a shower cake (hearts stars tiny flowers) can I just use water, or is there something better, I live in a remote area so I have to use something I don't need to go to the city or buy online. And also should I microwave them for a second to soften the fondant? They have been cut out for four days. Thanks in advance.

12 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 13

I just use water. Don't use too much, just enough to make the fondant adhere. I use a little (tiny) paint brush. thumbs_up.gif

NO...don't "microwave them for a second to soften" I make my "cut-outs" in advance quite often so that the fondant holds the shape better. They will be just fine once they've been added to your cake. thumbs_up.gif

staceytisdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceytisdale Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 13

you can mix tylose or gumtex with some water and mix it and let it sit, covered..makes a great glue for sticking anything. Don't need very much. It should be thin but not too runny.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 13

I've used everything from water to crisco to the edible glue (1/4 tsp tylose/gumtex mixed with 2 Tbsp of warm water)

All of them work, but I would say that the edible glue is stronger, IMO

Edit: In this case I would say that using water will work perfectly

fondafondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondafondant Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 13

thank you soooo much. One last question, would it help to "freshen" them up so they are not so matte looking and dull, to brush the lightly with Vodka? I heard that on Challange I think once I think.

Harper77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harper77 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 13

I found another good tip to 'freshen' them is to hold them very briefly under the steam of a boiling kettle. Just wave them quickly through the steam to get a bit of shine - do not let them get wet.

Just a thought....

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 13

I agree with Harper77. I steam all of my cakes but I bought a hand held clothes steamer and use that rather than the "kettle". Either one will work and it does give a nice sheen to your cake plus it removes traces of powdered sugar and cornstarch! thumbs_up.gif

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 13

I like to use white chocolate to attach my fondant figures. I had one that stood on the top of a cake. The cake had to be driven 1 hour away for delivery, and I was afraid it would fall. The white chocolate held it firm and it didn't budge. thumbs_up.gif The other nice thing about white chocolate is that it dries quickly.

rhoslyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhoslyn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:44pm
post #9 of 13

I have just put some water on the thing I want to on the cake, but if you are making 3d people I have find that toothpicks work to make sure that they do not fall, hope it helps icon_smile.gif

rhoslyn

rhoslyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhoslyn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:46pm
post #10 of 13

I have just put some water on the thing I want to on the cake, but if you are making 3d people I have find that toothpicks work to make sure that they do not fall, hope it helps icon_smile.gif

rhoslyn

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:30pm
post #11 of 13

If its something not too heavy, I use clear vanilla extract as my glue. Or you can make a glue from dried fondant with a tad bit of water.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 13

Melted white chocolate candy melts has my vote.

SliceCakeStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SliceCakeStudio Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:39am
post #13 of 13

I just used piping gel for the first time and I love it. It dried with super glue like qualities. I used it to glue picket fence panels upright on the sides of cake, then traveled with it 30 miles there and 30 miles back (with leftovers). They're all still sticking straight up in the air. And, I glued a gumpaste fairy on top with it too... all this before I traveled with it!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5093960&id=315716110107

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%