I Need A Floor Plan!

Business By Annabakescakes Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 1:40am by Annabakescakes

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:12am
post #1 of 9

I am putting a bakery in my garage, and the plumbing HAS to go opposite the garage doors. Other than that, I have no clue about how to get this thing together! What kind of floor plans do you guys have? Does anyone have ant pics they'd like to share, or has anybody done anything that they really wish they could change? Please help!

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 9

Actually the health dept has some general "rules" about floor plan. They want the set up to follow the food flow. From freezer/refrigerator to work space to final production. The idea is to make it easy for you which keeps you inside proper food handling guidelines.

For example, if your refrigerator is down the hall and around the corner from the food prep area, you are more likely to get more food (eggs, chicken, other perishables) out of the 'frig than you need because you want to save some steps/trips to the 'frig. THis stuff then lays out on the counter and moves into unsafe food temps. Whereas if your refrigerator was handy and convenient, you'd easily pull just what you needed from the 'frig to ensure proper food temps.

This is why you see, in large kitchens, the small under-the-counter refrigerators in the work area ..... so they can properly store food during the prepping stage.

Not as complicated as some make it sound .... just think logically.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 9

you might just call up the health dept. and get a list of what you must have where.......I've heard some terrible stories of people that built their cake kitchens from the floor up ONLY to have an inspector tell them everything had to be redone and moved around!!

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 9

I have noticed that I am not getting notice of any replies to the threads I start! I was looking for this very thing through the business forum, and noticed it had my name! I forgot I even asked!

I do need to call the guy at the health department and ask! Thank you!

orchid001982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orchid001982 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 9

I'm glad you asked this question. I'm thinking about doing the same thing myself but didn't know where to start. I've been trying to contact my Health Dept. but they don't respond, it's very frustrating.

Does anyone recommend a certain type of counter top over another?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 9:42am
post #6 of 9

After the health dept, talk to the electrician and the plumber. I had my floorplan approved only to find that my layout was going to cost me tons more the way I had it. I moved some things around to make the plumbing shorter, shortened the length of the ovens to the electrical box, shortened my venting, and saved THOUSANDS!!! Luckily, I didn't have to get new permits.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:22am
post #7 of 9

when you start a new post, you need to go back to it and click watch this topic for replies.

as for the counter top, check with health dept (if you can!) as i know some in the uk dont like certain ones (namely, wooden ones), but some have no problem with it. i think theres one called corrian? that sounds like my ideal! but pricey, so not yet!
xx

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 9

Most commercial kitchens I have seen, have stainless steel worktops.

Annabakescakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:40am
post #9 of 9

My cell phone won't change anymore since yesterday, so I need to try to find the number again, but I have called the health department SEVERAL times. I was going to call the guy today. He has returned my calls on the same day most times I have called. He has even answered the phone once! icon_eek.gif

We actually have a lot of what we need. I bought a Duke convection on craigslist for $500, a 7 foot 3 basin sink with double drainboards on Ebay for $300, A whole kitchen full of cabinets for $200 (that were so beautiful, I had DH take my cabinets out my kitchen and put the "old" ones in!) It came with the counter-top too. It is laminate. I also have some book shelves to keep my mixes in, a refrigerator, an upright deep freeze, two 6' tall, 4' wide, 2' deep cabinets for pans and things. I also have a wood work bench that DH is going to put a stainless steel overlay on (he works in a metal fab shop). I just am not sure how I want it all, I definitely want it to be practical!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%