Talk About An Order!

Decorating By d3sc3n7 Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 4:00am by d3sc3n7

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 24

Ok...found out last night that I've been "commissioned" to do a cake. I'm in the army...and our Batallion (I'll explain later) is having a ball (fancy get together). They want a cake for the event. Now, there could be maybe 600 people attending. The cake is not to include a piece for everyone! (SHEW!) Its really just more of a center piece.

I've been told to just do a double layer sheet, and put an edible image on the top. BORING!

I'm trying to come up with ideas on what to do here! I'm really at a loss.

If anyone can help me out here...I will be super grateful!

Batallion History:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/801msb.htm

23 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 24

Are they having a theme???

d3sc3n7 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 24

I'm checking on that now, but not that I'm aware of. There is a deployment coming up, and thats why were having the ball...but its not really a theme.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 24

it would appear a motto for the unit could be:

you break it, we fix it.

or

if we don't have it, you don't need it.

Reminds me of Radar on M*A*S*H and this dealing with Sparky and Rizzo, etc.

---

well one option is to do a cake that is in shape of badge then on sides of it put items representing all the things the battalion does: casts, crutches, wrenches, 55 gallon drums, gas pumps, MREs, boxes of supplies, etc.

----

or if more ambitious -- make a cake that looks like one of the shipping containers used to transport the stuff and have it open with representative items sticking out.

---

upping the stakes more -- is there a particular transport method used? truck, plane etc.? make one of those packed to the gills.

----

sentimental take -- don't know how much time you have, but if enough --

grab a camera and take photos of comrades, collect photos from everyone possible of past missions, drills, etc.

then again make the badge cake and do a monster edible image montage of "The Maintainers"

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 24

Yeah, what Doug said!

Doug Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 24

ooooohhhh..

odd thought.....

battalion is sort of like MOM -- bringing all you need -- food, supplies, medical help.

MAINTAINERS of Mission (MOM)

lots of possibilities there.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 24

Doug you rock!!!

d3sc3n7 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 24

Doug, your always full of ideas!

I'm still trying to get ahold of the POC for it. See if they have anything in mind. My boss man told me about it, not the person who asked for me to do it.

Its due sometime, 2nd week of July...not that its to far off.

Doug Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:42am
post #9 of 24

ok...one more thought.

over the top sentimental.

play up MOM

but focus on the silent ranks.

do the photo montage of all the moms and dads who stay behind to maintain the home front while the battalion is off maintaining the mission.

maintainers of maintainers (mom)

d3sc3n7 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #10 of 24

I really like the silent ranks idea.

I also thought of doing a number of 6in (x6in) rounds...each depicting the conflicts the battalion has been in since it was activated in WWII. Then I could display them in an arch shape with an American Flag cake in the center.

Doug Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:11am
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3sc3n7

I also thought of doing a number of 6in (x6in) rounds...each depicting the conflicts the battalion has been in since it was activated in WWII. Then I could display them in an arch shape with an American Flag cake in the center.

that's a good idea too.

----

lots to choose from.

----

ok... and your "orders" include posting lots of pics of the cake and everyone's reactions!

d3sc3n7 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:44am
post #12 of 24

Yes, pictures will be in order....I'm going to try to hang out by the cakes...since I HATE these things

d3sc3n7 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:05am
post #13 of 24

FYI - In the meantime, I'm making scratch double peanut butter cookies icon_biggrin.gif

d3sc3n7 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:59pm
post #14 of 24

UPADTE: So, it seems they want a boring old sheet cake...I hate sheet cakes. They lack the depth and dimension that makes me love to do cakes. Wonder if I can talk them out of it.

Also...there is no ball...its now a "fun day". And will be outside...in late july....in Kentucky.

d3sc3n7 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #15 of 24

Picture can be found herehttp://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1748450&done=1. They took almost all creative control out of my hands...punks.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:13am
post #16 of 24

I was wondering what ever happened in this situation. Thanks for sharing the outcome....sorry that they didn't let you play more.....but I'm sure they appreciated your efforts!

d3sc3n7 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:18am
post #17 of 24

I drop it off in the morning...so we shall see

d3sc3n7 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:12pm
post #18 of 24

So, I dropped it off today.

It was then saved for a ceremonial cutting. The big boss man got on the microphone, and got everyone's attention. Let them know that I made the cake, and what it symbolized.

It was then just about devoured. There were probably about 300 people there! What was left of the cake was mixed with chocolate syrup, whipped creme, bbq sauce, ketchup, relish...then dumped on the big boss man...a great ending!

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:08pm
post #19 of 24

This is what I did for my husbands unit for a morning tea - even a Duke ate it and the plaque now sits in his office. Just a thought for next time they ask you to do something.

d3sc3n7 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:03pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by strathmore

This is what I did for my husbands unit for a morning tea - even a Duke ate it and the plaque now sits in his office. Just a thought for next time they ask you to do something.

Wow!

Well, they way yesterday went, I don't think they will be going to anyone else a cake from now on. Which is really ok with me.

Hutchy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hutchy Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:51pm
post #21 of 24

Well, you know considering it was for the 101st they do try to suck the life out of everything they touch. lol We've been here 5 yrs so no one jump on me, it's a joke (sort of). Good luck on the deployment and maybe when you get back you can make something that you enjoy more!!

d3sc3n7 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 9:59am
post #22 of 24

That's the truth Hutchy, I got here in 06 and its been a strangle hold since then. LMAO

Hutchy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hutchy Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:08pm
post #23 of 24

I'll never forget when my husband came home from his first deployment and we were in the gym and the big wig told us to "Have an Air Assault day". I just looked at my friend and we busted out laughing. Go Army. <rolls eyes>

d3sc3n7 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:00am
post #24 of 24

ah yes, the air assault day...get used to that one

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%