Fondant Dents

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 7:48am by sweettreat101

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 7

Hello gang,

It seems that even though i ice my cakes really smooth with viva, perfectly smooth, then roll the fondant out and attach, then when its all said and done, it still looks dippy in some places, and uneven...WHY??icon_sad.gif

6 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 7

Is your fondant the same thickness or do you have places that it's thinner than others when you roll it out? One way I prevent this from happening is to "push" my rolling pin over the top rather than "roll" it so that I get a more even distribution of pressure. Hope this makes sense.

shannycakers Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 7

Well yes that could be it, it could be that some areas are not even? I am not fully understanding how you get yours rolled out all even, my middles always seem to be thicker, even with pressureicon_sad.gif

Any help i woujld love, thanks mamarobin!

mamawrobin Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 7

I start with a ball of fondant and press it as flat as I can then I roll like I'm rolling pie crust...turning my rolling pin each time I roll over my fondant. (hope I'm making sense) After I get it rolled to the size that I need I lay my long Wilton (no handles) rolling pin on my fondant and "slide/push" it over my fondant using slight pressure. This allows me to get it the same thickness all over.

shannycakers Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 7

i am going to have to try that method, thank you! i was doing similar but not the pushing at the end, because with satin ice i always feel in a rush so that it doesnt dry upicon_smile.gif do you roll yours thick or thin?

mamawrobin Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannycakers

i am going to have to try that method, thank you! i was doing similar but not the pushing at the end, because with i always feel in a rush so that it doesnt dry upicon_smile.gif do you roll yours thick or thin?

Neither "thick or thin" kind of in between. thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:48am
post #7 of 7

I use a marble rolling pin. I tried using the large plastic rolling pins designed for fondant and hated them. I prefer that the middle rolls and not the handle. And the weight of the marble makes it easier to roll out . My husband broke the first one so my mother gave me hers. I don't know what I would do without it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%