What Do I Do With All These Tips?!

Decorating By allthehobbies Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 4:27pm by SugarFrosted

allthehobbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allthehobbies Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 11

I am sure this has been asked before, but try searching for decorating tips on this site!!

icon_lol.gif

I am trying to get my tips organized (the ones you put in a bag for piping, not the amazing tips everyone shares here on the site!). I just counted them up, and I have 110 so far, and it seems like the collection just keeps growing. I have the cases from Wilton, but even with that I need to use two of the large cases and one small to fit them all in.

I thought about a thread case, with the pegs, it seems like they make those in a larger set that would hold them all, but either the lid is too close to the top of the peg and the tips won't fit, or the lid leaves too much space and the tips will fall off and get mixed up in the bottom.

I'm looking for a solution that would keep them organized so I can find the ones I need quickly, and would preferably be portable. Any ideas?

10 replies
NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 11

I just ordered tip cases from The Ultimate Baker online. Small cases that hold 52 tips (actually more, since I stacked some 3-high) for $5.99 and a large tip case for $10.99. They are both heavy duty plastic and I'm really happy with the quality. It was the only place I found tip cases that don't come already loaded with tips.

HTH!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 11

I have most of my tips in the Wilton Tool box, I like that it has pegs that I can line my tips up on, room to stack several tips of the same number and they are easy to find.

I tried using embrodary boxes at one time but got tired of having to pull out many tips to find the one I was looking for.

If you want protable, I'd say go with something like the tool box or the plastic cases. If you want something that you can hang on the wall, I've seen people make great use of thread spool holders for their tips.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 11

I found eggs for sale in clear plastic egg cartons and I've been saving them to store my tips.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 11

I use a parts storage unit. Lots of little drawers to store your tips and other tiny tools in. You can find them at Walmart.
LL

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 11

In the craft section at many stores, or in the fishing department you can get small clear organizers. You could put all your leaf tips together and all your star tips together or organize in any way you like. There's lots of different sizes to choose from and the lids are connectd and snap on tightly.

Un-related to cake - the smallest size works good for keeping earings seperate when traveling.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mme_K

I use a parts storage unit. Lots of little drawers to store your tips and other tiny tools in. You can find them at Walmart.

That's what I use too and I LOVE it. I put rounds in one, stars in another, leaf/grass/petal tips in another, couplers in a large one, etc etc etc. Makes them very easy to find and very easy to put away after washing.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 11

I use the partitioned bead containers. I have multiples of several tips so I don't have to keep changing bags/colors and I can generally get 4-5 tips in one compartment when I stack them. Some of the bead cases have inserts that you can place wherever you want in the case so you can customize the compartment sizes to fit the tip sizes. I have a few that are the giant ones and these bead cases work great.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 11

use the wilton tip cases but put more then one of the same on the same peg. you can get abut 3 on depending on the size. sometimes it gets a bit tall and the lid wont close. but i would try to keep all the same kind of tips together. Since you have 3 cases, put rounds and stars in one, petal and leaves in another and the other case can take the rest.

The-Cake-Nurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The-Cake-Nurse Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 11

These bead storage totes are amazing! The one shown here is black but I actually have the purple on that I will provide a link to on amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021F38WO/?tag=cakecentral-20
LL

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 11

I rarely travel with my tips, so I keep them on my countertop in a very usable organized fashion. This is a standing spool rack, with extra nails inserted between the original pegs. I cover the rack with a dust cover, an adapted sewing machine cover.
The cross bars on the rack have the tip numbers marked under each peg, for easy organization. I just stack the duplicates on the pegs, because I have lots of extras of the tips I use most often.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%