Icing Sheet Cakes With Bc Icing???...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 11:44am by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:02am
post #1 of 7

Hi Cakers!

I have only done two sheet cakes. I am finding myself struggling with the sharp edge corners. The amazing Sharon Zambito talks about icing a square cakea in her BC DVD. She mentions that she "builds" the icing up on the edge of the cakes. I THINK she uses that term?? Something like it anyway. What exactly does this mean?

Should the icing at the corners come out farther than the sides, and then take the excess off with your scraper??

Those of you who do square or sheet cakes regulary with BC, can you please share your secrets on how you ice the cakes???

BTW...I have the Magic Line cake pans. Super sharp clean corners...

Happy Caking...
Michael

6 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:56am
post #2 of 7

I've done sheets for years and yes you build up the frosting and then take off just enough to give you your edge. Believe it or not my problem is frosting rounds, I can't seem to get mine even all around even with a bench scrapper. I think it's all what we get used to. Practice is key with anything!!!!! You CAN do it.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:31am
post #3 of 7

For me, it is really sculpting. I could do square corners on a round cake. I frost my top well,covering completely, but don't think of it as finished. Then, come in and frost the sides. Build up your frosting. Then pull off what you nee to make the side straight. The extra on the top edge builds up. Leave it there until you are done with the sides. Always work in one long motion. To make a crisp edge, work with stiffer frosting and start past the edge of the cake and pull across to the next corner. Clean you scraper and do it again as necessary.

When you are done with this, you will have for clean sides and a frosted top with a mess around the edges. Using a clean spatula, come in at about the height of your finished frosting and pull into the center. Clean your spatula and repeat. This will leave you with minor blemishes to tidy up.

That's how I do it. HTH.

Mikel79 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you folks! This really helps....

=)
Michael

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 7

used to hate to do sheet cakes...now we do a lot and they are a breeze to do....take a look at our pictures....we crumb coat and heavy ice...bevel the top edge and then paper towel the cakes...works for us ..our largest sheet cake has been the size of two full sheet cakes all in one....we call it our super sized full sheet cake....it is becoming a commonly asked for cake

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:14am
post #6 of 7

Miguel... I show how I do the corners in the bonus section of the dvd. Do it exaclty like I show.. Ice the sides heavily, build up the top edge. Hold the scraper as i show it and start off the corner and go into it, halfway down the cake side, taking off the excess . then come from the other angle. then u have a perfeclty sharp corner. Rewtach that section when you have time , cuz I show exactly how to do it. icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 11:44am
post #7 of 7

Thanks Sharon! I will rewatch it, my confusion was exactly how you actually ice the corners of the square/sheet cakes.

Thanks for the help, your the best..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%