1990's Themed B-Day Party

Decorating By CakeChica Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 1:17am by jessdessertsblog

CakeChica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChica Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:21am
post #1 of 9

Im giving my husband a birthday party for his 30th b-day next month. We are doing a 90's themed party. He likes the grunge Nirvana look and I am wanting to do some sort of a grunge type cake. I was thinking "flannel" but have no ideas how to get that look. Any ideas would help. Thanks

8 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:27am
post #2 of 9

I found this picture maybe you could get it made into a edible image for top of cake. A 50/50 gumpaste/fondant guitar topper with black and silver stars on wires behind it bursting out of cake. Decorate the sides with stars. I don't know anything about grunge; tell me more I might have other suggestions.

yummy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:28am
post #3 of 9

Sorry forgot to post the picture.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=14cbjwl&s=6

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:33am
post #4 of 9

I did gingham for my cowgirl themed cake (see my pics) with simple painting on fondant...I'm sure you could replicate it and tweak it to flannel easily!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:54am
post #5 of 9

Could you try to make some Doc Martins out of fondant? Wouldn't have to be 3D, just the basic shape cut out of black fondant(with yellow stitching around the sole/laces) The flannel is good maybe paired with denim with holes? Maybe something Seattle-ish, space needle or rain? Watch the movie "Singles" for inspiration. It was very 90's Seattle music scene. Also try the Album cover's for inspiration, Nirvana's "Nevermind", Peal Jam's "Ten" and Soundgarden's "BadMotorFinger". Any smashed up instruments! Good luck and definitely post updates and pics!!!

yummy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:54am
post #6 of 9

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1322972.html

I over looked the part about wanting to do flannel. My bad!!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:02am
post #8 of 9
Quote:

That's an awesome flannel! I'd do it in blue or green to lessen the lumberjack factor and add the Doc Martin boots in this pic:
LL

jessdessertsblog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessdessertsblog Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:17am
post #9 of 9

You could do a "heart shaped box", like the Nirvana song. Or the Nirvana smiley face.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%