Buttercream Question

Decorating By LoveMeSomeCake615 Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm by frizzyhead

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:07am
post #1 of 17

How long is buttercream icing good when left out on the counter? I use the Wilton recipe, only with all butter and milk.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

16 replies
mablisboa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mablisboa Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:15am
post #2 of 17

2 weeks

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:19am
post #3 of 17

Oh wow, a lot longer than I thought, then! I wondered because it was out while I was decorating the other day, and I couldn't remember exactly how long I left it out before I put it in the fridge. Thank you!

mablisboa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mablisboa Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:32am
post #4 of 17

You welcome... usually the water based one last longer thn the milk one... My teacher sd if u don't see mold on it is good to eat... lol... i thought that was kind of nasty... lol...

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 17

::shudder:: Eeew, I hate mold! I definitely wouldn't use it if I saw mold! icon_razz.gif

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 17

I can't say for sure but I would think leaving it out with no refrigeration for 2 weeks is not good. I wouldn't leave anything out that long. And if it has milk and butter in it, that would make me even more concerned.
Bacteria is what you should be concerned about and you can't see bacteria with the naked eye so there is no way of telling if its there or not.

If it has milk and butter in it, I would leave it out no longer than you would leave milk or butter out and still eat/drink it.

I always say, when in doubt, throw it out icon_wink.gif

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by grossoutqueen

If it has milk and butter in it, I would leave it out no longer than you would leave milk or butter out and still eat/drink it.

The amount of sugar in an American buttercream acts as a preservative. You can most definitely leave it out much longer than you would milk, and plain butter is just fine at cool room temperature for several days. I dunno about you, but if I forget the milk on the counter for a few hours I pitch it. I certainly won't pitch a buttercream-covered cake if it's been at room temp for 4 hours!

Having said that, I wouldn't want to leave it out for two weeks. The longest I've gone is one week - the icing was on cupcakes that were sealed in an airtight container.

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 17

How about a cream cheese buttercream? How long can it last setting out?

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugalips

How about a cream cheese buttercream? How long can it last setting out?

That needs to be refrigerated. I wouldn't leave it out for more than 8ish hours.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossoutqueen

The amount of sugar in an American buttercream acts as a preservative. You can most definitely leave it out much longer than you would milk, and plain butter is just fine at cool room temperature for several days. I dunno about you, but if I forget the milk on the counter for a few hours I pitch it. I certainly won't pitch a buttercream-covered cake if it's been at room temp for 4 hours!

Having said that, I wouldn't want to leave it out for two weeks. The longest I've gone is one week - the icing was on cupcakes that were sealed in an airtight container.

I've left Indydebi's buttercream at room temperature for up to two weeks. It was perfectly fine. Never had any last any longer than that.
PiccoloChellie is right...the sugar in an American bc acts as a preservative. It requires no refrigeration.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #11 of 17

Thanks for the help, everyone! This was probably only out for a few hours at the most, although it wasn't tightly sealed. I just had it in a bowl covered.

frizzyhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frizzyhead Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:08am
post #12 of 17

I have a buttercream question also, I was wondering alot of the recipes call for clear vanilla extract can you use clear imitation vanilla extract or does it have to be pure? I am making Indydebi's buttercream & it calls for 2-3 Tbls clear vanilla (is it even extract?) Should you use whole milk with a buttercream recipe? Also on any other recipes that call for vanilla do any of you use imitation or should it always be pure? I am very new to all this so your answers are appreciated. Thanks!

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:24am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzyhead

I have a buttercream question also, I was wondering alot of the recipes call for clear vanilla extract can you use clear imitation vanilla extract or does it have to be pure? I am making Indydebi's buttercream & it calls for 2-3 Tbls clear vanilla (is it even extract?) Should you use whole milk with a buttercream recipe? Also on any other recipes that call for vanilla do any of you use imitation or should it always be pure? I am very new to all this so your answers are appreciated. Thanks!

I only use clear vanilla if I need white/white icing. If it doesn't matter that it's "off-white" then I use pure vanilla extract. The clear vanilla that I use is imitation because it's the only clear that I can find. In my opinion "pure extract" is always better than imitation but I don't always have it on hand. I use Indydebi's recipe 99.9% of the time and it does taste fine using the imitation clear vanilla. Have to say that I love her icing

thumbs_up.gif

frizzyhead Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:13am
post #14 of 17

Thank you mamawrobin, I could only find imitation clear vanilla at the store so thats why I asked, also because her recipe calls for almost 3tbls & the pure extract is more $$ then imitation. Since you use her recipe often, do you use whole milk? Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:18am
post #15 of 17

I use whole milk in her recipe and it turns out wonderful every time! HTH

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:42am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzyhead

Thank you mamawrobin, I could only find imitation clear vanilla at the store so thats why I asked, also because her recipe calls for almost 3tbls & the pure extract is more $$ then imitation. Since you use her recipe often, do you use whole milk? Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

I prefer using half and half but I have used whole milk. I use her recipe on 99.9% of the cakes that I make. thumbs_up.gif I make SEVERAL batches of this icing each week. A couple of "tips" for you......
Beat the crisco (prefer crisco over store brands) for at least 15-20 minutes BEFORE adding any other ingredients. It will look like sour cream. SIFT your powdered sugar and warm your milk (half and half) before adding. I also add the lesser amount of milk (half & half) that her recipe calls for and if I have to add more I add only about a tsp. at a time until I have the right consistency. I don't think I've ever added the maximum amount listed on the recipe. This is the best all shortening based buttercream I've ever tasted. It's also so easy to work with and smooth and it crust so very very well. Please do let us know what you think once you've tried it. thumbs_up.gif

frizzyhead Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm
post #17 of 17

Well I just made a batch of Indydebi's buttercream & it is delicious! It crusts very well too. I only put 2 Tbs of the vanilla in it & that seemed good, just curious though if thats all the flavoring you would put in it or if you add other flavorings or not? Thanks everyone for all your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%