Fondant Tearing On Dummy, Help!

Decorating By TatumCakes Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 3:03am by TatumCakes

TatumCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TatumCakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:29am
post #1 of 5

I know there was a recent post about this, but I have tried EVERYTHING! My fondant keeps tearing on my dummy! I am using Satin Ice for the first time and I'm wondering if it's the fondant? I've never had such a hard time with my homemade or Wilton fondant on dummies. I filed the edges, I covered it in buttercream...I don't know what else to do.

Please help!!! This is for a wedding cake due Saturday morning!

4 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:35am
post #2 of 5

I've been reading that a lot of people have that same problem. Since it's a dummy can you try rolling the fondant a little thicker and see what happens?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:21am
post #3 of 5

There have been a lot of folks having issues with SI here lately. Can you mix it half and half with wilton? (wilton is not as bad as it used to be!) That is one that is readily available that may help the SI work better for you.

(I personally make my own, I can't use SI, never could)

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #4 of 5

TatumCakes, where abouts is you fondant tearing on the dummy? Is around its top edge?

Make sure your top edge is smooth and rounded off a bit. My dummies I buy come with sharp edges and I use a big emery board/nail file to smooth off the top edges and prepare it for covering. If you're gonna do this, make sure you do it outside and don't wear black - coz it gets awfully messy and gets everywhere (sometimes I even have to shake the bits out of my hair!). I also use something that remains tacky to adhere the fondant to the dummy with - like brushing on a little piping gel.

HTH!

Cheers!

TatumCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TatumCakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:03am
post #5 of 5

It's tearing on the top edge. I filed it down, but maybe not enough. It didn't get that messy. So I'll try filing it more. I'll try that and rolling it out thicker. If neither of those work, it's off to buy some Wilton!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%