Sugar Bottles

Sugar Work By KayMc Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 5:04pm by Rosie2

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:07am
post #1 of 9

Where is the tutorial to make sugar replicas of wine bottles? I have searched, and can't find them. Thank you in advance!

8 replies
KayMc Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 9

bump to top. Anyone know?

floursifter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floursifter Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 9

I think you go to ARTICLES (at the top of the page) then on the side it says catagories. Scroll down to fourth from the end it says sugar works. Hope this is what you need.

KayMc Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:11am
post #4 of 9

Thanks, Floursifter! I'll follow your directions!

KayMc Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 9

I watched all the tutorials on making these, and went to the suggested web site. It would cost a fortune to make one of these molds - I'm guessing close to $200 to get the recommended supplies! I really had hoped to make one, but now I think I'll put it on hold.

UNLESS..... any of you who have already made these? Am I all wet in my estimation?

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

I watched all the tutorials on making these, and went to the suggested web site. It would cost a fortune to make one of these molds - I'm guessing close to $200 to get the recommended supplies! I really had hoped to make one, but now I think I'll put it on hold.

UNLESS..... any of you who have already made these? Am I all wet in my estimation?

Hi KayMc, there was tutorial here (that I can't find) that show you how to make your own mold with 'Mold Builder' sold at Michaels for about $20 or so...however this mold builder you would have to brush many layers, on a bottle of your choice, and dry the layers in between, but in the end you would have a mold to make a sugar bottle.
But, if you buy the other stuff that you pour ( liquid silicone) which I think is faster and easier to use you would probably spend about the amont you mentioned.

BRATTYR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BRATTYR Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 9

I have used the mold builder to make a beer bottle mold. i worked great but i put about 20 coats which took about two days. but with more coats i found the mold to be stonger and it gives you more time to hold the bottle and turn it when you pour in the sugar. just remember with this method that you dont get a bottom on the bottle. the mold is also very reusable i have used it on two seperate occations with a total if 9 bottles so far and still looks in great shape!!!

Rosie2 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 9

Found the thread!!! the stuff she used in the original thread was 'rubber latex' but I did make one mold myself with 'mold builder' even though I never got to do a sugar bottle. But here's the thread
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=147691&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

Rosie2 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRATTYR

I have used the mold builder to make a beer bottle mold. i worked great but i put about 20 coats which took about two days. but with more coats i found the mold to be stonger and it gives you more time to hold the bottle and turn it when you pour in the sugar. just remember with this method that you dont get a bottom on the bottle. the mold is also very reusable i have used it on two seperate occations with a total if 9 bottles so far and still looks in great shape!!!

Yes, you're so right! I made the mold with 22 coats and it seemed very sturdy...and yeah there is NO bottom when you make this kind of mold, you just have to make(sort of) a 'sleeve' at the bottom so you can pull the mold out of the bottle when you're done.

Ok, good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%