How Would You Do Chocolate Cake With Raspberry Filling?

Baking By cherrycakes Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 5:14pm by indydebi

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 16

I'm making a wedding cake for my cousin next weekend and he's requested chocolate cake with raspberry filling. I bought the sleeve filling and I have dark chocolate ganache. I'm making the Amazing Chocolate WASC cake and as I'll be torting the layers, I'm just wondering what everyone would do for the filling...mix the sleeve filling and ganache together and use that for all three layers, or have top and bottom raspberry filling and the centre ganache, or do all three layers raspberry filling. or do a very thin coat of ganache topped with raspberry on each layer? I've never worked with the filling before so I don't even know the intensity of the flavour icon_redface.gif Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

15 replies
dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 16

I would personally put a layer of ganache and then a layer of the raspberry filling between each layer of cake. That's just me though. Good luck!

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 16

You won't go wrong with any of your choices. I usually do bc with fruit filling on top of it as my filling.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 16

a dam (a wall of ganache) around the edge of each layer to hold filling in.

place dam about 1/2 in from edge of cake and make it only about a 1/2 inch high.

then a 1/4 inch layer of raspberry filling inside.

put on next layer of cake -- repeat until all layers stacked.

then set aside overnight to allow time for it to settle (or use Leah_s method of putting a large ceramic tile on top to speed up the process)

gravity WILL cause the layers to settle and ganche to squeeze out to the edge.

Failing to allow time for settling will case cake to bulge -- develop a "spare tire" look after it is frosted.

once settled -- lay on the ganche as you frosting.

finish by covering in white fondant if it needs to be white.

many decorators swear by ganache instead of buttercream under fondant as it is firmer and holds the fondant better and allows for better edges.

(hmm...if want chocolate overkill, over the dark chocolate ganache could do a poured white chocolate ganache and then white chocolate fondant!)

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 16

My opinion is that ganache is really strong compaired to the raspberry. I would have a layer of ganache in the middle and do the raspberry on the top and bottom layers. Unless your baking the 3" tall cakes there will be plenty of filling for flavor with each fill being somewhat thin. I do completely agree with Doug about the settling situation!! I also like the idea of the whole thing covered in ganache but make sure they really like chocolate because everyone's teeth will be hurting from sugar overload. Good luck!!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 16

That is one of my most popular cakes. I make a rich chocolate cake (on the Hershey's Coco Can) torte, then top with a thin layer of ganache, then a layer of raspberry preserves, then a layer of raspberry mousse. Follow til I am done with all my layers, then cover in Chocolate Fudge Buttercream (also on the Hershey's can) I make the mousse by combining Frostin' Pride with some Raspberry wine, or a kid friendly version of Raspberry Syrup. But watch out, the kids friendly version gets real sweet real fast. Of course I dam the sides as Doug said, that is a must!

I don't use the sleeves, as I don't really like the texture or flavor. And it is cheaper to get some high quality raspberry preserves from Trader Joe's, it's a more natural flavor.

That flavor combo is AMAZING!!!! I love it!!!

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:07am
post #7 of 16

I am such a cheat!!! The Chocolate WASC is the most requested from my circle of friends and I always pair with Raspberry. Please keep in mind, I don't do wedding cakes...that being said, while still warm, I spread a thin layer of raspberry (seedless) jam. I use Sharon Zambito's "fake buttercream" made with hi-ratio shortening and flavor with Lorann Raspberry. (a little goes a long way) and then dirty ice with a chocolate version of Sharons buttercream before covering with fondant.

I tried using a filling with a dam only once and my darn cake started to slide. I didn't have a lot in there but glad people ate before it had a chance to fall apart. I delivered and prayed!

Fathers day I made a real Swiss Meringue buttercream (but it didn't leave the house) and poured ganache over each layer. It was awesome! With 100 degree weather, I wouldn't attempt a true buttercream...'fraid the dam thing will melt!

cherrycakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:47am
post #8 of 16

Thanks for your responses everyone!! Doug, I agree with your whole process - it's what I've learned to do, and do, to all of my cakes since joining CC! I should have clarified though, I will be using a buttercream icing for the cake so this will be for the filling only. I'm leaning towards putting a layer of ganache in the middle with raspberry (contained with a very stiff dam -maybe even ganache as per Doug's suggestion) layers on the top and bottom (malene541- the tiers will be 4" high). However, I may just put a very thin layer of ganache on each layer before the raspberry as I really like how it just seems to solidify the cake layers!

Chocolate/raspberry seems to be a popular combo right now!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:01am
post #9 of 16

I'm so glad you posted this questions cherrycakes. I just got a request for a chocolate ganache with raspberry filling for this weekend. I wasn't sure what to do with it but the answers you received helped alot. Like mom2twogrlz I love the Hershey's recipe for chocolate cake. I don't use Hershey's cocoa any longer (gave it up many years ago) but I still use the recipe. The one with coffee, right mom2twogrlz? If that's the one, it is the most moist, tasty chocolate cake I've every tasted and I've never had one complaint about it.

My only question--if you put a thin layer of ganache uder the raspberry filling do you then cover the raspberry with the ganache or just have it on the top of each torted layer? I am afraid the raspberry will absorb into the layer above it if there isn't a barrier of ganache.

cherrycakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:15am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettinashoe

My only question--if you put a thin layer of ganache uder the raspberry filling do you then cover the raspberry with the ganache or just have it on the top of each torted layer? I am afraid the raspberry will absorb into the layer above it if there isn't a barrier of ganache.

It's my understanding that the sleeve fillings won't absorb into the cake - does anyone have experience with this? I've also lightly iced (like a crumb coat) the underside of the layer that will be going on top and that has helped create a barrier. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with ganache.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:14pm
post #11 of 16

I've never had a sleeve filling absorb into a cake at all. I don't use them very often but I have used the raspberry, bavarian cream, strawberry and lemon and have never had any issues with them. I also like to make my own fillings but the sleeves are quite handy if your time crunched.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:44pm
post #12 of 16

I just made this exact cake yesterday! And I wish I thought of using the ganache to dam the raspberry!! Doug you are so smart!!! Oh Well, next time!!!!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:

I'm so glad you posted this questions cherrycakes. I just got a request for a chocolate ganache with raspberry filling for this weekend. I wasn't sure what to do with it but the answers you received helped alot. Like mom2twogrlz I love the Hershey's recipe for chocolate cake. I don't use Hershey's cocoa any longer (gave it up many years ago) but I still use the recipe. The one with coffee, right mom2twogrlz? If that's the one, it is the most moist, tasty chocolate cake I've every tasted and I've never had one complaint about it.

Yes, that is the one I use. I love it, no other recipe I have tried compares. And it goes really well with the raspberry.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm
post #14 of 16

I actually make a raspberry cream filling that I like more than straight fruit. I mix Polaner all fruit seedless preserve into BC icing. It goes great with chocolate cake and I've gotten many compliments. Because it is mixed with buttercream icing rather than real whipped cream there is no worry about needing refridgeration, either.

My Fri nite cake club cake was choc/ raspberry cream.

Sandy

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:04pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:

Ditto on the response you've gotten so far: sleeve fillings have never absorbed and disappeared into my cakes. They cut beautifully as long as you dam up the edges and give the filling enough room to sit between your cake layers. Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:14pm
post #16 of 16

Ditto on the sleeve fillings do not sink and absorb into the cake (like what happened to me when in an emergency, I had to use jam from the store! Ugggghhhh!!! NEVER again!).

I have also mixed chocolate icing with sleeved raspberry filling. Did this for a niece's wedding and it was so much fun to watch the surprise look pop on people's faces when they tasted the added pizzaz! in the filling!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%