Heating Core

Decorating By kger Updated 18 Feb 2013 , 6:44am by amandabillings

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 12

I bought a Wilton 3D cuddly bear pan at a yard sale for $5. Apparently, it's supposed to come with a heating core, but I am lacking one. I see Wilton sells the Heating Core for Large Pans separately; will that fit into the cuddly bear, or will it be too large?

11 replies
ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 12

I'm not sure if this is what you mean but I use flower nails in the cake pans

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 12

sounds like something is missing, I would contact wilton and say it was missing when you got it, and they will probably send you one, I don't have it but I have seen pics of it and it looks like a different core to me.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 12

I initially bought the heating core but after reading here about using the flower nail... I tried it and now I no longer use the heating core... if it's for my largest pans I use two nails if not..then just one nail... it works like a charm....

hth

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 12

I think you're getting some conflicting information (it's all good, just doesn't work for this application)

I have the 3D pan also and the heating core is different than the one sold individually. I have heard that some people have good luck rolling aluminum foil into a rod and then supporting it at the top so it doesn't get lost in the batter.

As for the flower nails, they work, but not in 3D pan like the cuddly bear. They are not long enough to get the heat to the center of the pan where it is really needed. But they do work well for larger cakes that are in 2" or 3" deep pans.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 12

Thank you for the info leily I wasn't aware of that

kger Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:22am
post #7 of 12

Does anyone know where I can get a core for a 3d pan, or is there a tutorial for this aluminum foil trick?

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:01pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

Does anyone know where I can get a core for a 3d pan, or is there a tutorial for this aluminum foil trick?

Try calling Wilton, even if they won't send you a free one since you bought it used (but you don't have to mention where you got it) they might sell you one

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 12

I wonder if a cream horn metal form would work. I have had mine forever, but I did see them in a kitchen store being sold individually.
But then again, it might depend on your batter, if you use a thin cake batter it just might sink to the bottom and you would never get it out.
Last ditch, you could fill both sides of the bear and balance it in a shallow pan, and bake both sides. Then level it and put both sides together with buttercream, chill and then decorate. *I have the build a bear pan from Nordicware and that is the way they do it.

kger Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:38am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcakes

Last ditch, you could fill both sides of the bear and balance it in a shallow pan, and bake both sides. Then level it and put both sides together with buttercream, chill and then decorate. *I have the build a bear pan from Nordicware and that is the way they do it.

I think I'd rather do that anyway. Then I could probably fill it. I'll try to call Wilton next week. On Fridays, they apparently close before 3pm EST, even though their message says they are open until 3pm.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #11 of 12

Oh, and one more tip...

I suggest that when it is time to serve the cake, you remove it to the kitchen, lay it on its back or side and cut even slices.
I made the Build a Bear one for a shower, and when it was time for dessert guests were taking a knife and lopping off little bear parts!!! So, someone had an ear, a nose, a leg. LOL! When I noticed I took it to the kitchen and cut it in slices. Still makes me chuckle when I get that picture in my head!

amandabillings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandabillings Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 6:44am
post #12 of 12

I have used that pan quite a few times and it is a ... beast. I love it, it turns out so beautiful every time, but there are some tricks to it, first of all, to get it to be sturdy enough to stand up I suggest using one box of cake of your choice and one box of the pound cake mix, it makes for a firmer cake (and tastes awesome too). also, I can't see it working without the core, but if you can't get one from wilton (it has special clips that attach it to the pan) then you can try a trick I have used for bigger cakes, take a thick soup can, cut both ends of it off, grease it inside and out, and settle it down in therein a way that you can get it back out. I have made the bear with using the cake from the core as plug but I also have just filled it with pudding.... messy, not gonna lie, but it is interesting. I hope that this helps, and score on getting that bear at a garage sale

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%