Should I Freeze Tonight Or No?

Decorating By Wesha Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 1:30am by Wesha

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 6

Hey guys,

I have a busy weekend with cakes coming up. I have a 5 tier wedding cake, a grooms cake and one birthday cake due on Saturday. i am going to be baking tonight since I work full time during the day. Would you freeze the layers tonight and take them out in the morning and crumb coat tomorrow night and finish them up on Friday? I just want the cakes to be fresh still on Saturday.

Also, 2 of the tiers have raspberry filling and one has pineapple filling between the layers. When I crumb coat, do I need to put these tiers with the filling in the fridge or can they stay on the counter???

thanks guys

5 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 6

I freeze all of my cakes. And yes, I have one in the freezer now that I will fill and crumbcoat tomorrow and finish up on Friday. Just remember that your cakes really do need time to come up to room temp and settle after crumbcoating. Cat

summersusu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summersusu Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:43am
post #3 of 6

i always freeze and then ice with BC before they completely thaw. it is easier to torte for me when they are not completely thawed.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:59am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersusu

i always freeze and then ice with BC before they completely thaw. it is easier to torte for me when they are not completely thawed.

I concur

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:03am
post #5 of 6

Ditto on freezing. I put all of my cakes in the freezer for at least 8 hours or up to 3 days after baking. It makes the cake much easier to handle, torts nicely and there is much less crumb when flat icing the cake.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:30am
post #6 of 6

What about after I crumbcoat the layers with the filling. Do I need to refrigerate them. The fillings are raspberry and coconut???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%