Urgent Help! Sugar Bottles

Sugar Work By iris219 Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 8:51pm by tiggy2

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 5

I urgently need help. I made 7 sugar beer bottles on Sunday (so I can get a head start for a cake I need for this Saturday) I left them out on the counter. And today because of the extreme heat and humidity they are melting! How can I salvage these bottles? I don't have any more isomalt to make another batch. PLEASE Help. Thank you.

4 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 5

I have used sugar and corn syrup, heated up in the microwave for my bottles... can you make some more doing that?? The information, including a tutorial, is on this site. It worked great for me. I don't know what else to do....

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 5

You need to store the bottles in a cool rm out of direct light (I guess you figured that out already). I learned the hard way too. I had made some bottles and DH opened the blinds next to the table. We keep our home around 70, but the light caused the bottles to collapse.
I sprayed the remainder with cooking spray, laid them on their sides in covered cake domes out of direct light. Just wipe the spray off before placing in the cake & handle with gloves.
I don't think you can salvage the ones that have collapsed. I would make more if you have time. I actually used super fine granulated sugar & it worked great, but I was making brown bottles. The isomalt stays clear @ the hard crack stage. I used isomalt to make ice cubes. That stuff is expensive!
Anyway, good luck with your bottles!

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 5

mcdonald- did you use exact measurements for this? I mean like 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of corn syrup?

lecrn- I did leave the bottles in a shaded area, except the weather got drasticly humide overnight so when I got up this morning I saw they were melting. My beer bottles are brown in color and I even got the exact color of the actual beer bottle I was really please with them, but now this problem.

yes, isomalt is expensive that's why I don't want to rush out and over some more the get it over night because that will make them even more expensive. I made my ice cubes as well and are in the same room. But those have not melted, it's really strange. But glad that they are not.

Do either of you know of another way to make clear ice cubes without using isomalt? Just in case my cubes do start to melt. I can try to make them for my cake on Saturday.

Thank you for your imput.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 5

R-emelt what you have and re-pour them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%