It's Not Edible???!!! Are They Kidding??!!!

Decorating By artsywest Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 9:40pm by BlakesCakes

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:59pm
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

i was just about to heap my praise on langranny when I saw melvira's post - so that about covers my 2 cents!

icon_biggrin.gif And I'm a reformed smoker, so I'm not some 'bottom clenched' do-gooder that is opposed to anything that is outside my narrow window of acceptability. I just saw this heartbreaking news video yesterday about a 2 year old boy (in some underdeveloped country I think) that's been smoking since his dad got him started at 18 months old!!! icon_surprised.gif The 2 year old smokes TWO PACKS A DAY!! Child Protection Services is trying to help the kid quit. Ummm... REMOVE THE CHILD FROM THAT HOME! I'm sorry, but any parent that would hand an 18 month old a lit cigarette, then let them smoke it... no. I can't use the words here, I will be banned from CC. icon_redface.gif You cannot imagine the language I was using when I saw that. My heart broke into about a million pieces.

Such a chubby little boy as well. His mom says that the boy will get angry if he doen't get his cigarette and the dad says the boy his healthy.

I heard that whatever country he was from offered the family a car if they go their child to stop smoking

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:15pm
post #32 of 38

Yah, they said he becomes enraged and bangs his head, etc. Yah... that's called withdrawal, and it's what anyone addicted to ANYTHING has to go through. He is just too young to verbalize it, so he acts out. Sick, sick, sick.

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:46pm
post #33 of 38

Just pulled out my ancient bottle of silver dragees, and yep is says Use only as a decoration, not as a candy on the front and on the side the ingredients (including silver) and sold as a decoration only. Yikes, never read the label before now. I grew up eating these on my grandmothers christmas cookies (always the star on the tree) for over XX years, my kids have eaten them on my christmas tree cookies (again the star) for all of their lives. No broken teeth, no turning blue. What is that saying about things being ok in moderation? Don't know anyone who would sit down and actually consume a whole bottle of these things at once, they aren't that tasty. icon_razz.gif

ohayr639 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohayr639 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:51pm
post #34 of 38

So my mom bought me a bottle of the same ones I already had (she is so cute to try to help!) and I tried to take them back because I don't use them that often but the girl said no because they are considered a food product. So I said, "Even though it says DO NOT EAT?" and they still wouldn't take them back. . . Just seems funny to me.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:55pm
post #35 of 38

OMG I hadnt seen that. I better not either, the thought of it is already making me tear up. As the mother of a 2 year old (his birthday was Monday!) the thought of something so horrible is absolutly heartbreaking. The poor baby. Let me adopt him!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 9:08pm
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

OMG I hadnt seen that. I better not either, the thought of it is already making me tear up. As the mother of a 2 year old (his birthday was Monday!) the thought of something so horrible is absolutly heartbreaking. The poor baby. Let me adopt him!

I know! My baby just turned 2 on June 9th and is quite possibly the cutest thing on the planet. I was biting my tongue to keep from bawling.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 9:33pm
post #37 of 38

When all of this happened and the lawyer got them banned from California I had read all the articles on this. The amount of dragees that you have to eat in more than a dump truck to hurt you. People just have too much time on their hands to get something banned. Maybe there is a lawyer in our cake central that could get this stupid law overturned. IMHO No I don't live in California, I live in Canada where we can still buy them.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 9:40pm
post #38 of 38

You can purchase fondant pearls and use Crystal Colors Bright Silver (an FDA approved food based "luster dust" from sugarpaste.com) to get nice, silver edible "dragees".

I put the pearls in a bag with a very little bit of lemon extract, toss them until well coated, and then transfer to a bag with the Bright Silver in it and toss them in it again.

To salvage leftover dust, I pour them out into a mesh strainer over a piece of parchment paper. I shake them well, transfer the pearls to clean parchment to dry and then put the dust back in it's container.

I find doing it this way, I don't get puddling or streaking on the pearls.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%